How Much Do You Know About The Quill Gordon?

art flick streamside guide[schorie river[sp]
google it up.
Met an old timer from NJ while fishing the greensprings back in the 60s.
He was from the Catskill school of the early 20th century.
He gave me boxes of the Flicks style flies and I threw them away as they weren't practical in the west.
Threw away the treasures and stocked up on Royal Wulffs-story of my life.lol

No magical Quill Gordon fish stories? I can make a good one up if need be.

Jack -

I'm headed out for the day, and don't really have time now for any stories.
But I will say that the Delaware river is one magical place to fish, although mainly with the hendricksons

I have fished the catskills and here for the gordons since the 60's. The fresh dun has always been a dirty olive/yellow in color. after being out of the water for awhile they change more to the standard colors most people are used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfhOaISAzv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCcJNYcpAk

I'm not as imaginative as you guys. I run into some QG's and blue quills each spring on little mountain creeks, and I "match" them with an Adams. Glad I'm not fishing "technical" creeks!

dryflyguy wrote:
I've never understood why wood duck wings are used on that traditional quill gordon fly. Why imitate a slate gray wing on the natural with a flecked brown wing materiel? When I started tying, I learned to use matching gray feather segments from mallard wings.

Agreed!

Quote: dryflyguy wrote: I've never understood why wood duck wings are used on that traditional quill gordon fly. Why imitate a slate gray wing on the natural with a flecked brown wing materiel? When I started tying, I learned to use matching gray feather segments from mallard wings.

Agreed!

thats because you look at flies from the human side of it. From the surface. try looking at a fly from the fish's view, might see things differently. Oh sure you catch fish , but what if we tied flies the way fish perceive them. We might catch a lot more fish..

Back