Hookset: how do I get tiny flies to reliably take?

Hmmmm, you can call it tomato but we over here call it lift your rod or twitch your wrist. What's it called when I use my pinky to pick my nose while I set the hook on a Brown? Forgot to mention that we would tweak the bend of the hook to left or right slightly. You still have concentrate on timing and strength of your set. Remember, you are not getting a big chunk of flesh, just a piece of skin tissue.

It's funny you don't know because a few real LeTort regulars used the slip strike on small flies, and Ed koch wrote of it in his book. As for the offset hook, pretty much all the regulars wrote about its effectiveness on smaller flies.
" Forgot to mention that we would tweak the bend of the hook to left or right slightly". ----that's called off setting the hook;)

Yes, Ed Koch was very nice and extremely helpful. I set up the table and books for Don Holbrook and Ed Koch for a book signing of "Midge Magic" when I worked at Cold Spring Anglers. Very much enjoyed working there. I still go back and refresh myself with some of the many patterns. By the way, are we not suppose to help this guy out and not bicker. I'm pretty sure your name is Andrew Bogley, Aka LeTortAner. You have asked me what was I doing or using to catch trout at Big Spring a couple of times. I've also seen you there once in a while then I would go to the Orvis Web page and see your reports. Tsk tsk! Be alot more honest, please.

I've written many reports on the web and have given my info to everyone on paflyfish, so, yes my info is not at all hard to find. Calling someone's advice " nonsense" is not polite, and your opinion should be done respectively.. I don't talk to many people when I'm fishing big spring cause I always got my wife with me. Tsk tsk, nice try.

Yes, your wife does tag along often. We would comment on how lucky you are for her to sit in the car for hours. At least try to catch a fish to make it worth her while.

Gentlemen - let's not turn a discussion on hook "sneck" (that's what Marinaro called it) into a demand for satisfaction! No dueling sabers here please.

Back