Here's what you get for not spot burning!

That bow is gorgeous. The browns in there ain't bad either.

There is a lot of cold tail water that borders PA/NY but from a conservation stand point, let's not forget about the tremendous fishery that the warm water lower sections are for a huge segment of the population, both fly fisherman and "others". MS activities not only impact the upper cold water stretches but the lower warm water sections and the D bay.

DANG! I knew I should have spot burned the Mon.

1. Upper Delaware River, PA, NY
Threat: Natural Gas Extraction
2. Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, CA
Threat: Outdated Water and Flood Management
3. Gauley River, WV
Threat: Mountaintop removal coal mining
4. Little River, NC
Threat: New dam
5. Cedar River, IA
Threat: Outdated flood management
6. Upper Colorado River, CO
Threat: Water diversions
7. Chetco River, OR
Threat: Mining
8. Teton River, ID
Threat: New dam
9. Monongahela River, PA, WV
Threat: Natural Gas Extraction
10. Coosa River, AL
Threat: Hydropower dam

ok, where is the one that says overfishing by crowds of people as its cause of endangerment?

Actually most of these rivers might not be in the state they are in if more people knew about the recreational resources they provide rather than being just another place to draw water, drilling for fuel and mining.

Matter of fact is a little more discussion on these waters may have prevented all this.

rrt wrote:
mainly for abuck: Those are all famous streams. What you say is not likely, except for Marcellus Shale problems. I think all streams are in trouble over that. Otherwise, not probable.

How bout flows on both the East and West and acess on the Upper East? Are those not important?

Tom,

Think you missed his point. He's saying that getting the attention to the endangered waters may help get issues addressed or protective measures put in place.

Well then I didn't miss it..I just didn't realize he agreed with it. :lol:

Stop it or I'll start on bamboo and brookies! LMAO

Just heard back from Gerlach:

Dear Mr. JayL:

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 4698, the proposed Delaware River Basin Conservation Act. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

As you may know, H.R. 4698 was introduced by Rep. Mike Castle of Delaware and then referred to the House Committees on Natural Resources and Transportation & Infrastructure for consideration. This legislation would direct the Secretary of the Interior to establish a program to build upon and help coordinate funding for restoration and protection efforts for the four-state Delaware Basin, which includes all of the Delaware Bay and portions of Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.

Almost all of the 6th Congressional District falls within the Basin area and I believe it is important to promote efforts that restore and protect it. As a Member of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, I intend to support this bill if it is brought before both the Committee and full House for consideration this session.

Further, knowing of your interest in the health of our rivers, I wanted to let you know about a bill that recently passed the House of Representatives, together with a bipartisan letter I have once again sent to the House Interior and Environment Appropriations Subcommittee advocating for the National Estuary Program (NEP). I have long been a supporter of efforts to protect our estuaries, especially the Delaware River Estuary, and provide for a strong and successful NEP.

By way of background, Congress added Section 320 to the Clean Water Act establishing the NEP in 1987. The NEP promotes comprehensive evaluation and planning efforts to protect estuaries in the U.S. that are deemed to be threatened by pollution, development, or overuse. Currently, 28 NEPs receive federal for grants planning and management activities to address the degradation of the estuaries. The EPA implements this program and oversees all NEP activities in each of those estuaries, including the Delaware River Estuary in our community.

Since its creation, Congress has reauthorized this program on a number of occasions. In fact, in 2004, I was the prime sponsor of legislation to reauthorize Section 320 through FY10 (H.R. 4731; Public Law No: 108-399). More than 42 percent of the continental U.S. shoreline is included in the NEP, and 15 percent of all Americans live within NEP designated watersheds, with thousands of new residents arriving every year. In the U.S., estuaries provide habitat for more than 75 percent of America's commercial fish catch, and 80-90 percent of the recreational fish catch. Estuarine-dependent fisheries are among the most valuable, with an estimated worth of $1.9 billion nationwide.

Most recently, on April 15th, the House passed H.R. 4715, the proposed Clean Estuaries Act of 2010, with my support, by a vote of 278 - 128. This legislation again reauthorizes Section 320 through FY2016. Further, the bill requires the estuary management conferences, which are composed of state, local, federal, private and nonprofit entities, to develop a Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plans (CCMP) that would identify candidate estuaries and associated upstream water, recommend priority corrective actions and compliance schedules, and determine current and future sustainable commercial activities in the estuary. H.R. 4715 has been sent to the Senate where it awaits consideration.

NEPs are the front lines of our most threatened and economically vital bays and estuaries. Unfortunately, the urgency of restoring and protecting our coasts and estuaries has never been greater. The EPA has recognized that "the NEP is EPA's flagship watershed protection effort." As such, I believe that the federal government must maintain its direct, annual investment in the stewardship of our nation's coasts. I will continue to work with my colleagues in Congress, as I have with the letter to the House Interior and Environment Appropriations Subcommittee and through support of these pieces of legislation, to ensure that opportunities for critical estuary protection throughout the nation, and our Delaware River, are not lost forever.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you or your family in the future.

With kind regards, I am

Sincerely,

Jim Gerlach
Member of Congress

And Casey:

Dear Mr. JayL:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding H.R. 4698, the Delaware River Basin Conservation Act of 2010. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

Representative Michael Castle of Delaware introduced H.R.4698 on February 25, 2010. The Delaware River Basin Conservation Act would direct the Secretary of the Interior to establish a program to build upon and help coordinate funding for restoration and protection efforts at the federal, regional, state, and local level for the four-state Delaware Basin, including all of Delaware Bay and the portions of Delaware, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania that are located in the Delaware River watershed. Currently, there is no similar legislation before the Senate. Should such legislation reach the full Senate for consideration, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

As always, I appreciate your views, thoughts and concerns as they assist me in understanding what is important to the people of Pennsylvania. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

If you have access to the Internet, I encourage you to visit my web site, http://casey.senate.gov. I invite you to use this online office as a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

Here is a thread with more info about contacting your reps.

Link

Feel free to use/modify/criticize the letter template I wrote.

I think its awesome that they refer to you as Mr. JayL

"Who pickin' da banjo here?" and old dude cutting the rug. One of my all time favorites. If I could move like that, I'd have honeys all over me.

lol. That was actually a great song, one of my favorites (literally), and one of the first I learned to play on the guitar actually. The movie tainted it for eternity, though, now the first thing that pops into most people's minds is "squeal like a pig!!!!"

Is it a good movie I never saw it.....? What kind of movie is it?

Blue collar city men go on a long float trip down the Chattahoochie? before it gets dammed, one last hurrah before the river is lost forever. They run into some problems with the local hillbillies. The main story is about their fight for survival.

This movie has virtually (and incorrectly) defined our stereotype of "hillbilly." It's worth a rent, though.

boy you sure got a pretty mouth!!!

If I could move like that, I'd have honeys all over me.

Sight, I am not sure that it is the honeys that those moves got them.

But here is a Deliverance quote for you . . . .

Lewis: Can that chubby boy handle himself?
Ed: Bobby? He's rather well thought of in his field, Lewis.
Lewis: Insurance? #OOPS#! I never been insured in my life! I don't believe in insurance. There's no risk.

Back