Here's something you don't see everyday

Another reminder that mono kills and that we should be vigilant to remove and dispose of as much of it as we can.

Just a followup on Dave's post.

Mono kills for a while. Fluoro kills for forever.

That's not to say don't use fluoro. But if you do, be extra vigilant about recovering any lost pcs.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Turkey,
Please go back and cut the wings off and mail them to me. The feathers will make some nice Flies.

It crossed my mind. I was thinking soft-hackles. Probably not legal under the Migratory Bird Act though.

turkey wrote:
PennypackFlyer wrote:
Turkey,
Please go back and cut the wings off and mail them to me. The feathers will make some nice Flies.

It crossed my mind. I was thinking soft-hackles. Probably not legal under the Migratory Bird Act though.

You are probably right. But I did get a bunch of flank feathers from a wood duck. No sign of the duck. I suspect a snapping turtle got it. The feathers were everywhere on the pond, but fortunately they float.

There are several snapping turtles in that pond, one of them is quite large.

That pond is overpopulated with fish, so I heave the turtles alone.

FD, you can heave a turtle over the side of something, but how the hell do you heave one alone?

The whole thing with getting your scent on baby animals is an old wives tale. The mother is not going to abandon it's baby because it smells like a human. Chances are that if animals are living in an area that has lots of humans, then they are already going to have human scent on them anyway.

I once encountered a red tail hawk in a leg hold trap while I was out for a walk. Wasn't easy but managed to get it loose. It appeared no worse for the wear. Must not have been in the trap for long.

A good reason to retrieve your flies.

foxfire wrote:
I thought the Bluebird's main diet consisted of bugs?? They hover around swarms/hatches at my place and feast.
This is true, but during the winter, if they haven't migrated they will eat berries and are attracted to feeders that have fruit and mealworms. Bluebirds are irregular migrants.

that's sad. I have two bluebirds in my garden and I love watching them.

I always try to retrieve any flies I see hanging within reach. typically I tend not to lose to many myself as I mostly use 4x or 5x.

That is sad. A section of the upper end of Falling Springs was actually posted once due to tippets and leaders getting snagged and not removed , which ended up killing one of the swans in the pond that got tangled. I try to always leave the stream the way I arrived , or better than what it was.

I pick up mono and fishing line wherever I go. I repurpose a lot of it into leaders (I have 10 lifetime supplies now, to go with the 35 lifetimes of storebought spools) but my main intent is to keep critters, birds and bats from getting snagged. I have never seen dead bluebirds from this cause, but lots of other random birds and bats.

turkey wrote:
HopBack wrote:
Yeah because birds don't eat bugs and fly fishermen don't catch trees. Only ignorant spin fisherman could have caused this to happen.

ryansheehan wrote:
Yup, we fly fisherman are a gift from god.....had to be a nightcrawler from the dark side.

What's with the snark? I only assumed it was some sort of soft plastic grub imitation because it's well known that bluebirds are attracted to mealworms. I have no agenda to sully the reputation of spin fishermen. To be fair it could've been a pheasant tail nymph. Although I don't want to hurt the feelings of high-stickers so let's leave open the possibility that a Catskill style dry fly could be the culprit too ;-)

HopBack, that duck picture is crazy. I've definitely never seen anything like that.

Not snark, sarcasm.

Back