Help! I'm a failure.

I couldn't help but notice that you didn't list any dry flies.
When streams are low and clear - as is the norm in late summer and fall - dry fly fishing, especially with terrestials, comes into it's own.
Although it is getting late in the season now, it would still probably be worth it to try some beetle or ant patterns - especially on warm, sunny afternoons.
I was out the first week of the month, and caught quite a few fish on them around central PA

During the summer I used ants and they worked well for wilds. Now, due to Irene, the area in which a lot of my wild streams I fished are closed because of re-conservationing. Which is a bummer, so now I need to explore. I have never had success with stockies and dries, that's why it has crossed my mind the last couple weeks.

Stockies will take dries.

A #14 crowe beetle is a good one to start with IMO.
You'll want to fish these mainly in slower water - pools, and along the banks.

I also caught fish up there on slate drakes, caddis, and BWO's.
Of course, it helps a lot if the stream you're fishing has those flies hatching on it.

But for a good searching pattern to use when you don't see anything coming off, it's hard to beat a beetle IMO.

With freshly stocked trouts, I wonder if a #14-16 brown beetle matches the hatch - of pellets. Or you could use a Goddard Caddis - you can even dispense with the fussy hackle and antennae.

tl
les

lestrout wrote:
With freshly stocked trouts, I wonder if a #14-16 brown beetle matches the hatch - of pellets. Or you could use a Goddard Caddis - you can even dispense with the fussy hackle and antennae.

tl
les

My friend. Try using a Walt's Worm. It's a Hatchery Pellet 100%.

Hook: Mustad 9671 size 10-16

Thread: 6/0 Tan

Weight: .015 lead wire

Dubbing: Hareline Hares Ear Plus #1

I will add my own .02 cents to the advice here. I am 23 and think I am a good medium between yourself and some of the guys who have been fishing for 25 years. First off, I totally feel you on getting skunked. My girlfriend knows that I was skunked before we even say hello. I absolutely cant stand losing to the fish. In fact, I am the guy you will see on the stream an hour after sunset muttering, "one more cast". I have noticed a change over the years about fish counts etc. so I can tell you it gets better. For example, I was recently hired and wont be eligible for any vacation from my new employer until Jan 1st, so I decided I would hit up Elk Creek last Thursday for my first shot at steelhead. I got 3-4 hours of sleep and drove the 2 hours and 15 mins to the stream. Well, the water was crystal clear and the fish were super spooky and certainly not in the mood for any of my flies. I ended up walking about 4-6 miles round trip with no fish to hand. I think I fished 7-4pm and had a 2 and a half hour drive back in the pouring rain to reflect on the day. It was the first time I didnt skulk after being skunked. It was a spectacular day to be on the stream and I had a great day to myself. For me, the failures have always been one of the aspects of fishing that keeps me coming back for more.

On a more rational note, the conditions have been pretty difficult on my end of the state, so you really can blame this one on the weather.

Wulff wrote:
If it was all about catcing fish. we'd be using mealworms. The great thing about fly fishing is that you NEVER stop learning and getting better. Keep fishing. Evry time you go out, you're a little better than you were last time. And that's true of every fisherman on this forum.

Lol...good point, Wulff.

Where have you been fishing? Maybe one of the guys can give you some help on techniques or flies to try, or other streams to fish in the area.

gaeronf wrote:
Wow, you guys are right. It is really enjoyable just to be out on the stream but I think what frustrates me is that deep down I know that the "goal" of fishing is to catch fish, and when I don't i get flustered. But maybe its not about the catching, maybe its about having fun and enjoying the experience...

You just took are really important step towards manhood. Realizing that the experience is far more improtant than the primary goal will serve you well in the future. Someday, you will fully understand that fishing is about WAY more than fishing ;)

Here's what Trace Adkins has to say on the subject:

[color=000099][size=xxsmall]I’m lost in her there holdin’ that pink rod and reel
She’s doin’ almost everything but sittin’ still
Talkin’ ‘bout her ballet shoes and training wheels
And her kittens
And she thinks we’re just fishin’

I say, “Daddy loves you, baby” one more time
She says, “I know. I think I got a bite.”
And all this laughin’, cryin, smilin’ dyin’ here inside’s
What I call, livin’

And she thinks we’re just fishin’ on the riverside
Throwin’ back what we could fry
Drownin’ worms and killin’ time
Nothin’ too ambitious
She ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
What’s really goin’ on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in

She’s already pretty, like her mama is
Gonna drive the boys all crazy
Give her daddy fits
And I better do this every chance I get
‘Cause time is tickin’
(Yeah it is)

And she thinks we’re just fishin’ on the riverside
Throwin’ back what we could fry
Drownin’ worms and killin’ time
Nothin’ too ambitious

Yeah, aww, she thinks we’re just fishin’
We ain’t only fishin’
(This ain’t about fishin’)[/size]
[/color]

The first three years venturing in this sport, I did a lot of practice casting and drifting streams. Particularly with dry flies, you can learn a lot watching the fly drift and how and when drag sets in. You can do the same with nymphs and streamers, watching how changes in weight effect the drift, etc.

I agree with the others. You need to spend a day with a more experienced angler, maybe a guide or instructor if it can be afforded. He or she can see what you are doing and maybe offer some advice.

As Pete earlier mentioned, the water talks. People say you learn to "read the water" but apparently Pete and I hear voices. In any case, trout are not "everywhere" in a stream. They are in specific places. There are some very common places to always probe, but depending upon flows or light penetration, you may find them in different places than last time.

When I hit a water, I try to deduce "the pattern" that the fish are in. When they are rising, it is easier to figure out. When they are "flashing", again, a clue has been whispered to you. When you see nothing, you can only draw on water-experiences of the past, of which a new angler has few, whereas those of us who have been observant and obsessed for 5 or more years, have a wealth.

Along with experiences and memories, there are also quite a few skunkings. I still take them often enough, though I have learned waters where they are easier to avoid. That type of learning through experience will take some time also.

Stick with it and soon the good days will outnumber the bad ones.

You sure got a lot of good advice here, hope that will help you, don't be afraid to ask questions here , lots of good fishermen here. Just keep trying, it will come to you. Your only 14 so you have plenty of time to learn.

I wish you lived in my area, I would enjoy helping you, since you don't check out a flyshop nead you or someone from here, for help.

Just keep plugging away it will come!

PaulG

JackM wrote:
....but apparently Pete and I hear voices.

There are medications for that Jack ;-)

Telepathic PM sent.

JackM wrote:
Telepathic PM sent.

How in appropriate Jack...looked more like a telepathic hand gesture to me :-D Have a good day!

garonf

Just keep at what your doing pal. No need to get all EMO on us. As It seems like your into this sport and do enjoy it. You a great fly tier already, so when you get you wheels in a few years, and have time to explore,You will be deadly with the fly rod.

Just keep plugging away it will come!

This is all good advice, but this is the best I've seen. Everyone has tough days. The question is how you respond to it. I see some advocating not to focus on the catching, and instead enjoy the day and the place for what it is. I think I disagree. I mean, yeah, I enjoy fishing, success or not, and I enjoy the places and scenery and all the stuff they mentioned. And yeah, when it gets down to it, catching isn't of utmost importance, I enjoy myself either way.

But for me personally, TRYING to catch fish IS of utmost importance. Saying to sit back and smell the roses is good advice for when you're doing well, it's keeps you from getting caught up in success and getting overconfident and losing sight of the real reason you fish. But it's not as good advice for when you're doing poorly.

If I give em hell and still fail, so be it, I still did enjoy the day. But I could not be happy if I didn't give it my all. I'm a fisherman, and its about pitting myself against the fish, the stream, and the conditions. I'm not satisfied to give half efforts and then say "oh well, I guess it wasn't my day." To me it sounds like giving up, and just going through the motions. No, when things are bad is when you double down on your efforts.

The harder the fishing is, the harder I fish, the more focused I get. I think that personality trait has been to my benefit. It simply keeps you in the game longer. And eventually, the game turns your way.

Fish hard, keep plugging away. Try different tactics, different streams, learn more and more about what you're doing. That sounds exactly like what you're doing, so keep it up. It will come in time. Fising with an experienced partner will help, as will much of the other advice here. But you'll always have slumps, they'll get shorter and shorter as you learn more. Till then, fish hard. Give em hell.

Lots of good advice here. Water does talk and fish listen. Where is a good place for me to be to eat,hide, and watch whats going on? Every season brings changes in water levels so check out ,in low water where the chanels are, rock locations, stream side points etc. All holding places are not equal. Places that in higher water will not be noticeable yet still provide current breaks which make seams which are places to drift flies. If your not catching fish toss a small stick in the water and see how it floats down stream. You'll be surprised what it does .
Just like being in school: do your homework,read and study the water. It's a learning curve so don't get disheartened. When you "figure" out the language of the stream the light will go on.

Honestly, I've had months of skunking. You get through it. You still learn tons of crap by being out on the water. As others said, your technique gets better w/ every outing. Eventually you'll start hooking up again. Its just one of those things. It comes with the sport.

I think many of us have learned to enjoy other elements to a day on the water BECAUSE of getting skunked.

gaeronf wrote:
Yes, I do need a mentor, but by 25 shouldn't they be in an old folks home?

Comments like that will NOT encourage me to spew information. :lol:

Remember the plan for December that we discussed? It'll probably kill you to wait that long, but you're gonna get an opportunity to learn a thing or three that day.

There's things you can do to increase your odds of catching fish. I'm not real big on streams and fish "talking" to you, but there are certainly things to pay attention to.

As time goes by, you'll file these clues away for future use. You'll remember past successes, and the clues that led to them. Carrying some knowledge with you helps tremendously. You can/should have a good idea of what the fish are feeding on before you even leave the house. Know the waters you'll be fishing, and the food sources available to the fish. Have flies to immitate them.

Trout feed two ways - selectively, and opportunistically. When they're feeding opportunistically, they'll eat whatever floats by that looks/smells/tastes/behaves good. This is where a baitfisherman has the advantage. When the fish are feeding selectively, they're keyed in on a certain food source. This is where a fly angler can easily outfish a bait fisherman, if you can figure out what they're feeding selectively on, and match that food source with your fly.

Often times, there's not a strict dividing line between opportunistic and selective feeding, and sometimes there is.

The real enjoyment (for me) is in the learning process. "Figuring it out" and having success is far more satisfying than relying on blind, dumb luck. It also increases your odds of being able to duplicate your success in the future. You'll learn something new every time you fish. Being able to apply what you've learned is key.

Learn from your successes. Learn from your failures. Enjoy your surroundings. No matter what, it beats work, or raking leaves. :cool:

Back