Help Identifying a Bamboo Fly Rod

G

gentleshepherd

I purchased a bamboo fly rod at an auction, there are no markings on the rod but the rod tube has a sticker that says Catskill Rod Co. on it. The rod is pristine, came with 2 tips one is faster than the other. It is about 6 feet long. I have no idea what weight line to use on it, if I decide I want to use it at all.

Pics are attached. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated..

Attachments

• Rod 2 tips.jpg
    Rod 2 tips.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 121
  • rod with tips.jpg
    rod with tips.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Set.jpg
    Set.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Tube Cap.jpg
    Tube Cap.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 101
Dear gentlesheperd,

You might better post question this on the Classic Fly Rod forum bamboo page.

I'm no expert, but I do know this much, Sixty years ago, or back even further when bamboo was the rod material of choice there were few rods made under 7 feet in length.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim is correct.

Something doesn't look right about this, but it is hard to tell from the pics.

Did you put it together?

I can tell you that the ferrules look like the ones used by Montague. On the other hand, the reel seat and birds eye maple insert are more indicative of higher end rods.

Looks as though it may have been made from the top two pieces of a 9’ three piece rod. Don't ask me how I know this.

I’ve seen these exact pics on the bamboo fly rod forum back from a few years ago.

Tim is correct.

Something doesn't look right about this, but it is hard to tell from the pics.

Did you put it together?

I can tell you that the ferrules look like the ones used by Montague. On the other hand, the reel seat and birds eye maple insert are more indicative of higher end rods.
I did put them together and they fit very nicely. The 2 tips area almost the same size, it does not look like the taper is dramatic as in a section used together. Would more pics help?

We’ll that image I posted in #8 was from 2yrs ago. It’s peculiar that even the tag number is printed identically. Something is very odd.

One forum said that the style of grip was a trademark style grip of a guy I believe from New York State, I think his last name starts with a V.
We’ll that image I posted in #8 was from 2yrs ago. It’s peculiar that even the tag number is printed identically. Something is very odd.
Maybe the guy who owned it bought it in an auction as well! It does not look like it has ever been fished, which makes me think it might has some value..

I did put them together and they fit very nicely. The 2 tips area almost the same size, it does not look like the taper is dramatic as in a section used together. Would more pics help?
I am not sure it will help.

I used to rebuild old production bamboo rods as a hobby, and I believe Jon is correct. I am nearly certain that the ferrules are Montague, who was the biggest rod maker in the world for many years.

Since I doubt anyone would replace the ferrules on a premium rod with used ones from Montague, It looks like someone took the mid and tip sections of a 9' Montague, refinished them, and added a "new" handle and reel seat.

As had already been said, it has the appearance of a Frankenstein rod made of components from older longer rods. The old term for such creations was a "banty rod"

FWIW - The burled cork grip is NOT something you find on a high end bamboo rod nor is the generic "Champion" style rod tube.

That being said, try a 5wt or 6wt line and if you like the way it feels, enjoy the rod!!

As had already been said, it has the appearance of a Frankenstein rod made of components from older longer rods. The old term for such creations was a "banty rod"

FWIW - The burled cork grip is NOT something you find on a high end bamboo rod nor is the generic "Champion" style rod tube.

That being said, try a 5wt or 6wt line and if you like the way it feels, enjoy the rod!!
I was able to text with one of the owners(Robert Venneri) of the Catskill Rod Co. He said the rod is correct but the ferrules have been redone for some reason. He designed the handle and real seat and yes it was a 6ft rod. It is a 4wt rod. I am happy with the purchase. now I will fish it to see what it handles like. Thanks for all of the comments!

Back