Help: Baetis Nymph

Not rocket surgery (Jack)

Olive/brown hares ear mix thinly dubbed with copper or brass wire rib, a black wing case and a few soft dun hackle fibers for the tails. Dubbing picked out to represent legs and gills. I tie some with a copper bead and some with a black bead to fish underneath, and tie w/o a bead or weight to fish in the film.

Here's a pic of the bug from troutnut (below) and here's a link for a whole bunch of Baetis pics to study:

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/90/Mayfly-Baetidae-Blue-Winged-Olives/2#specimens

Attachments

• Baetis Nymph.jpg
    Baetis Nymph.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 4
wsender wrote:
All very true, but I think a bead is still needed. A lot of people fish Beatis in the spring, when water is up because it will most likely be the first hatch. In this high water condition, weight is needed to get your fly down into the column and have it stay there. Not saying that there isn't a time and place for an unweighted/no bead PT, but I generally don't find the adding of weight to be a hindrance to the performance, but rather a point of advantage.

A bead head is certainly not needed. There are other ways to weight a fly (lead underbody) or fish a tandem rig with a heavy anchor and your unbeaded baetis as a dropper. Bead heads are getting readily overfished and I find fishing without them just as effective if not more at times.

I still do tie and use beadheads but they are by no means needed an I find myself actually using them less and less.

gutcutter wrote:
and they swim throughout the water column, not tumble along the bottom. i tie mine without weight and without a bead.

generally speaking, my hare's ears are all hare's ear coloured, and never get bead heads. a wrap or two of lead, perhaps, and i had quite a bit of luck with 'em fished behind simple softhackled wet flies and swung across.

I figured the fish took them for BWO nymphs swimming to the surface to emerge.

P6240022.jpg

P6270034-1.jpg

P6270033.jpg

P6270038.jpg

This is my trout bane. The trout bane, emerald bane, and the golden bane. This is my pattern I use to represent baetis. I tie them small, as baetis are small little buggers. I never weight it. I fish this pattern as the tail on tandem rigs to maximize action. I fish the lime quite often and this little bugger is certainly wild brown approved.

The pattern is extremely easy to tie, and very quick to tie as well. It totally adheres to the K.I.S.S. rules. Here is a link to my blog where I have more pics and I describe the fly more. I also have a video on how to tie it. Its on youtube.

Trout bane tutorial

Trout bane pics

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvYOH3Bi1gA[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwZkdUVplAM&feature=related[/youtube]

An old school pattern used to be simply brown fur with a wood duck flank tail. Tie the dubbed body slim with a thinner abdomen and slightly thicker thorax. The originals used brown rabbit fur dubbing, but about 25% olive synthetic dubbing mixed in wouldn't hurt.

The trouts bane looks good. When I seine BWO nymphs I am taken by two things: they are always swimming and they are translucent. The trouts bane looks like it would have the translucent look.

Thank you Jeffk.

I suppose im old school since I tie and use that pattern you mentioned. (its very effective) I do it with some custom blends. But just plane rabbit fur works well also. I will be running a post on blog about the simple nymph. Which is basically a fur bug with a tail.

Back