Heading to Bald Eagle area tomorrow and Sat

N

NovaJeff

Have had a fishing trip up to Penn’s area planned for almost a year now, heading up tomorrow morning (Friday) for the weekend.

From what I gather, especially for a somewhat amateur like myself and my friends, Penn’s is a no go given current conditions? Seems like flow rates are a good chunk over what it advised?

I’ve enjoyed fishing around Cherry (tunnel area etc) but assuming those are ripping now.

Any general advice on whether it’s smart to avoid that water and look for something smaller a bit away from that area?

Also was planning to stop off at any lakes in the area in case the creeks are a bust, but have never had much luck in the past at the parks around there.

Feel free to move to “Locations” sub forum, but figured since my main question was confirming or clarifying my understanding of the current conditions at/around Penn’s, I would ask here in “General”

Definitely take a read through this recent forum posting, lots of good information regarding wading levels. For me personally, the highest I've fished Penns was at 750 CFS and it was difficult wading. It really comes down to how experienced you are wading and wading specifically on Penns. Being safe on the water is paramount to catching fish

Penns Creek Angler on Facebook is also extremely helpful with water conditions, hatches, and really anything to do with Penns.

Last edited:
I am not giving up but plenty of bourbon and brews to help give me confidence in the high water. Seriously, I haven't fished lower Penns much so I am not too sure about that section under these conditions. I have had some good days just fishing the edges with buggers. The biggest issue may be getting around. I know the Ingleby section we are fishing doesn't seem ideal for getting much access to good "edge" water. We are certainly not canceling our trip. Good luck! Can't wait. Just need to get through the work day! Hoping last nights bump doesn't come with dirtier water.

I am not giving up but plenty of bourbon and brews to help give me confidence in the high water. Seriously, I haven't fished lower Penns much so I am not too sure about that section under these conditions. I have had some good days just fishing the edges with buggers. The biggest issue may be getting around. I know the Ingleby section we are fishing doesn't seem ideal for getting much access to good "edge" water. We are certainly not canceling our trip. Good luck! Can't wait. Just need to get through the work day! Hoping last nights bump doesn't come with dirtier water.

Fishing the edges is good advice, hopefully you guys run into some fish!

Hey, if you are going to bring gear for lakes, it is PRIME TIME crappie action right now, and Colyer Lake is not far from Penns. Neither is Sayers Reservoir at Bald Eagle State Park. Both of those lakes would offer good crappie opportunities, and they will readily eat a small minnow pattern presented on a fly rod.

For trout, there are obviously smaller waters around that will be fishable. If you want a bigger water that will be fishable and is still fairly nearby, head to Spring Creek. Just please use caution not to spread the snails.

Oh, and Poe Lake has some WW species, too, along with rainbow stockies.

Hey, if you are going to bring gear for lakes, it is PRIME TIME crappie action right now, and Colyer Lake is not far from Penns. Neither is Sayers Reservoir at Bald Eagle State Park. Both of those lakes would offer good crappie opportunities, and they will readily eat a small minnow pattern presented on a fly rod.

For trout, there are obviously smaller waters around that will be fishable. If you want a bigger water that will be fishable and is still fairly nearby, head to Spring Creek. Just please use caution not to spread the snails.

Sayers was chocolate milk earlier in the week.

Thank you!

I have unsuccessfully fished Coyler with a crappie jig that kills it in my local waters, so I need to give it another go.

Spring creek is where my guide is taking me on Sat, so glad to hear that could be a good idea.

Sayers was chocolate milk earlier in the week.
Yeah, I didn't think about the lake being fed by Bald Eagle, so it getting muddy. Those crappies will still be there, though. And they should be getting mighty close to shore.

If the PFBC doesn’t care, why should he?
:rolleyes: Lame excuse.

If everyone else throws their garbage out their car window, why shouldn't I? If everyone else is spreading snakeheads and catfish, why don't I? Well, because having integrity, being a role model, and trying to do the right thing is a valuable trait that may set examples for others and inspire them.

Stopping invasives and snails is impossible most likely, but that doesn't mean you don't try.

I fished Penns Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. It was high, off color, but fishable, even got a few on dries (including a couple brookies). It’s less than ideal, but nymphing the fast water with a big assed Walt’s and a frenchie was shockingly effective. Now the wading was tough, if you’re not confident in that department I’d probably go elsewhere.

Spring and BFC will fish.

:rolleyes: Lame excuse.

If everyone else throws their garbage out their car window, why shouldn't I? If everyone else is spreading snakeheads and catfish, why don't I? Well, because having integrity, being a role model, and trying to do the right thing is a valuable trait that may set examples for others and inspire them.

Stopping invasives and snails is impossible most likely, but that doesn't mean you don't try.
In this case the ones making public service announcements about littering, are the ones throwing all the trash.

But I’m sure my notification of stocking and washing of my boat will stop the invasive species, while trucks full of trout from Benner Spring and Pleasant Gap leave from NZM infected hatcheries. The rules are for thee and not for the PFBC it seems.

Back