Hare's Ear

1st hook is a size 12 mustad 4165 xtra strong (won't find anywhere but I do sell a few at times) and it is a large eye..
Yes franklin its a slate (blue) wingcase.

sandfly wrote:
1st hook is a size 12 mustad 4165 xtra strong (won't find anywhere but I do sell a few at times) and it is a large eye..
Yes franklin its a slate (blue) wingcase.

Any significance to blue? You may recall posts I made a while ago (long while) about success with blue copper john's on Lou's favorite stockie stream. I've had a few other days there where they worked and others didn't. They only seemed to work on rainbows.

yep some nymphs have a grayish wingcase there for bluish/gray to blue wingcases. blue works...

Those are awesome. I have seen and tied hare's ears without a tail or wingcase. Just dubbing, tape, and a bead. Mostly because I'm a novice tyer and those are the materials I have at the moment.

What are your thoughts on this type of hare's ear? Is it even considered a hare's ear or is it called something else? Thanks.

Not far off from a cheap caddis or walts worm. Grey/natural hare looks like a walts, greens look like a caddis. When I started out I used a lot of just bead headed natural or dark hares ear dubbed flies and caught fish. Great easy effective starter fly like you said.

I love these hares ear variations. I have most of my luck tying naturals colored and black ones with a soft hackle. But now I think I have to a tie a few in the greens/olives/and yellows and give them a shot on the water.

Back