GULPERS :D

I've also heard the term "crusiers" to describe trout picking off insects in lakes. I don't have any still water experience for trout whatsoever, but I believe the feeding activity exibited by the fish I witnessed is quite similar. Safety in numbers might be a good a good answer, but I believe it has more to do with the hatch. These trout are "on" it, homing in on the midges, and then "opm". I'm also most successful with the griffith's nat size 18-22 with a moose hair wrapped body. I might have to make a trip up to the Big D or the yough in PA. I haven't been to those places before and if this activity happens then I'd like to take the chance at catching just one of these fish. I haven't seen it on "our" spring creeks in the Cumberland Valley and not to say that it doesn't happen during the "day". Probably a better chance at night. But, I believe most of the large brown and rainbows in our spring creeks, for the most part, are carnivores. As of right now I cant steer away from the olive hatch on the Gunpowder, I'm in need of some convincing perhaps!

I just caught a gulper at Kettle Crk. a few weeks ago. A 12 inch bow. Not huge but he was gulping flies down. Took me over an hour to catch it too.

I think it has to do with , especially in wild fish , expending the least amount of energy , for the max amount of nourishment , it's like an insect IV , they just roll along , not working much , continuously taking nourishment and not expending much energy to get it , the ratio of energy expended vs. nourishment gained comes out on the plus side making for big fat tout......i like that in a trout.

Back