Guide Tipping

Let's get off the off-topic of this. Better yet, let it die. There are youngsters that read the forum, and their parents may monitor their on-line activities. Respect the site by keeping the main forum free of adult content.

JackM- just one more tale, I'm late to the party. My Brother in Law lives in Bozeman and his best friend guides for Sweetwater Travel in the summer and guides for elk in the fall. When I visit my family he takes a day off and we go for a drift on one of the many great rivers for no charge. At the end of the day we get some beer and burgers and I slip him a tip...$400 because its what he does for a living and he gives me the best day of my year. Its what its worth to me and I appreciate that I am able to do it and enjoy a day with my brother in law in the prettiest place on earth.

It seems that 80% of this thread is people saying how evil not tipping is, and another 10-15% of it is people agreeing with them.

I think the numbers hold true that 90-95% of the board thinks that tipping is a wonderful way to reward good work. I couldn't agree more and enjoy giving generous tips whenever I go out.

The real discussion is of two groups: 'what tip is appropriate for a decent day of guiding?' (averages to about $50-100 as the most common) and 'why do guides commonly charge a price that does not reflect the actual costs and income needed for a return?' (because that's just the way the service has always been run)

I, personally, would much prefer the system Pcray has suggested, where a tip really is gratuity for an excellent job and initial prices are much higher. That's not the current culture, however, so I'd be ready to pony up between 50-100 dollars or more for a tip on a half-day guide.

If I expected to return within a year or two, I might just double that tip, which is what I do for most other venues I expect to return to.

Can we stop harping on how lame/evil non-tippers are now? It's such a minority here that it's not worth having most of this topic devoted to it.

Back