Gregarious flyfishermen

• Thread starter LongLineRelease
  • Start date
I second Poopd's notion that a 21" trout caught anywhere would be a highlight, at least for this misanthrope (me).

>>I second Poopd's notion that a 21" trout caught anywhere would be a highlight, at least for this misanthrope (me).>>

The other misanthrope more or less agrees, but would only add that the notion of a "trophy" is subjective. An 11" wild brook trout from the West Fork of Hometown Run could be seen as a trophy if the average fish is only 5.75".

On the other hand, a 20" wild or stocked fingerling-->feral brown from the Delaware or Clarion respectively might be an eyebrow lifter, but not really a trophy.

It's all kinda relative...

Salmonoid wrote;

but might be fair to middlin' in a system like the Delaware.

Well maybe to you a 21" trout might be "fair to middlin" on the Delaware but to me, and many friends, it is a damn nice trout. Maybe you have caught so many 21" trout that you are jaded with them and need bigger trout to fulfill you.

Agreed, 21" isn't a monster brown but if it is a rainbow it is a behemoth. I fish the river often, maybe I'm not that effective, but I just don't see many 22" and larger (measured with a tape and not an eyeball) trout of any species.

Geez, a 21” trout of any species in any water is surely a trophy fish for me. I agree that there probably are a relatively small amount of fishermen willing to seek out little fished waters. With that said, I have to emphasize I live in the city. It would be hard pressed to find more than a handful of fishermen here willing to travel 2+ hours and then hike even farther to a lesser known stream. I’m willing to bet if you reside closer to said waters, you probably know more fishermen in general(wild trout fishing is not very popular to Philadelphians) thereby knowing more willing parties to seek out those streams. Just my 2 cents which is worth less than 1 after inflation and adjustment.

. Just my 2 cents which is worth less than 1 after inflation and adjustment.

Hehehe and city tax, but as a Philadelphian you can probably get away without paying that ;)

I think the OP has gotten sidetracked now.

Plenty of water to fish in pa, stocked or wild.

I prefer wild fish, I prefer to fish alone or with my one friend who fishes as hard as I do. We are usually pretty spread out, sometimes we work the same water from opposite banks, sometimes we hole hop, sometimes one person fishes and the other watches and cracks jokes. It’s all fun and that is really the only point of fishing to begin with.

Back