Green Weenie

I actually prefer to stand in the middle and cast towards the breast if I am fishing the dam. This is the first year I have really done it, and only because there were a few big ones left. Usually I'll fish the creek or preferably one of the branches for natives. Too many flying bobbers in the dam for my taste. Good to know somebody else from "the valley" is on here. Welcome to the board!

Boyer

I've never fished an actual Green Weenie, though I do have several inchworm patters in my boxes. The owner of my local flyfishing store told me that the GW is his no. one selling pattern, by far. I think everyone should fish whatever pattern they have confidence in, but it is kind of a shame when people put such strong stock in any pattern that they fish it almost exclusively, IMO. One of my favorite aspects of flyfishing is actually figuring out what the fish are feeding on. Using one fly as a crutch tends to eliminate some of the detective work. On the other hand, drifting any fly in trout water beats the heck out of sitting behind the computer! In aswer to the original question, I'd start by greasing the crap out of it, plopping it uder branches and then drifting it. Then plop, and subtle twitches, followed by serious strips. Weight the leader, sink, and repeat the above. Actually, I would have probably tied on a fur ant dropper before I started.

I, personally don't use it as a crutch.

I use a pheasant tail for that. :-D

Matching the hatch is great, but for mid-early season stocked browns, the green weenie can't be beat. Especially when there's no hatch to match.

LOL about the pheasant tail; I use a variation of the PT a lot myself. Fur from a dark Choc. Lab is a nice shade and can be brushed shaggy; also, it won't unwind after repeated abuse. I wasn't trying to refute the fish catching ability of the GW. or any other chartreuse fly for that matter. I have met anglers who don't fish anything but Weenies or Glo Bugs. Kind of a narrow chunk of flyfishing, don't you think? I fish plenty of attractor patterns with good results. One of my favorite patterns for early season, high water, or inchworm time is the beadhead inchworm pattern similar to the Beck's pattern. As Pad metioned it is a killer point fly on a dropper set-up. Plenty of San Juan Worms seem to have infiltrated my box as well. When it comes to fishing, (and life for that matter) whatever floats your boat!

Hey MattBoyer.
Know where you mean,allways some nice leftovers there after the rodeo. Lived 5 min.from there. Be shore to check out the rest of the stream up to the water dam.

Flynut wrote:
Hey MattBoyer.
Know where you mean,allways some nice leftovers there after the rodeo. Lived 5 min.from there. Be shore to check out the rest of the stream up to the water dam.

Where'd ya live, man? I'm originally from Williamstown, so we used to walk down the East Branch to get there when we were kids. I still hit the creek a few times a month because it's a nice creek to wet wade. Nothing like leaving a creek, eating lunch and not smelling crappy water all day til you get home. They put a ton of cookie cutter 11 inchers in this year, but it's still fun.

Boyer

Back