Grass rods,and Men

brookieaddict

brookieaddict

There was a time when Men fished with grass rods , silk line,catgut leaders,no waders and bare feet. They enjoyed the event almost to a religious level. They wrote books and storys about the big one or the uncatchable one. They didnt have a gazillion rods and reels to choose from most terminal tackle was kept in their fly wallet or pockets. They usualy did this after church on Sunday as most worked six days and usualy ten to twelve hours a day. They mowed the grass with push mowers and an iced tea made by hand tasted like well, heaven. They enjoyed the simple things in life and were happy with what they had. Need was a sign of weakness, no time for that in this tuff life. Do we need all this stuff or are we less than our forefathers were??

Addict,
In many respects, I do think we're somewhat "weaker" than our fore-fathers (better in a few areas). And, strictly speaking: No, we don't need all the new gear to enjoy the sport. However, what sort of equipment one has for FFing is largely a relative notion with respect to different generations. How much one enjoys the sport is a largely separate issue. It may seem to us that our grandfathers got as much fun with their simpler gear but - in the minds of our grandfathers - their gear was new and state of the art. And yes, they worked (generally) longer hours and harder physical work than we do... but compared to their grandfathers in the pre or early industrial era, they were lucky to have an afternoon of leisure at all and likely were aware of that and took advantage of it for leisure pursuits like fishing. In the end, there's a rather weak link, in my view, between how much one enjoys the sport and how much of the latest gear they own. Our latest gadgets and rod materials may look primitive to our grandkids in the future.

Comparing generations across changing technology is akin to comparing apples and oranges.

Ironic, isn't it?
The better the equipment, the fewer quality places to use it.

That lifestyle you describe is still available. Live it.

The better the equipment the more we seem to focus on it. One would think that not having to prep the line, dry it, etc would allow us to spend our time concentrating on fishing. We have specialized gear and most of us can afford more than one rod so we can target different species or stream types.

and those towering figures of yore were the ones who welcomed the new products as it made the sport more enjoyable and less arduous-
I can remember many attempts to turn back the clock to simpler times-silk lines,gut leaders etc....
Having said that-I would vote to ban ALL electronic fish finders and think cell phone carriers should be restricted to catch and release carp waters only.
Someone once gave me an Orvis 8wt. bamboo after two trips I traded it for a more practical graphite.

I wish I could buy a never-used Leonard Bamboo Rod for $70, silk line for $5 and a leader for $0.12.

vern wrote:
Ironic, isn't it?
The better the equipment, the fewer quality places to use it.

I am not buying that. Maybe before the industrial revolution. I would bet my next paycheck that the streams are cleaner now than they have been for hundreds of years.

Look at PA. It was one big coal mine and clear cut at the same time. I am going to bet that you would not wade in most streams 100 years ago.

Humm... As far as western PA, I am sure around here it is much cleaner over 50 to 100 years ago. I not gonna say people can't get away with dumping today but it is a far cry from what it was years ago. That does even account for raw sewage and the newer treatment plants.

People (older folks) always bring up deer hunting in north central PA is being so bad now. Well, no kidding. In the 30's 40's 50's, the forest was thriving due to all the clear cutting from the prior 20 to 40 years. Had undergrowth. No there is not enough browse-too mature.

Heck- I clearly remember cleaning paint brushes and their containers in the basement laundry tub. Seen many people dumping used motor oil out in the woods or directly in strom drains. And most people dont litter any more.

Much more leisure time now even though it does'nt seem that way. Now people are inundated with recreational choices and leisure activities. Sure as heck more golf courses now.

I am convinced- lots of folks can be an expert on their local stream.

Sorry, couple random thoughts there.

Back