got a new rod...now a reel?

B

blakew510

So my girlfriend bought me an orvis clearwater rod to upgrade from my $100 cabelas starter kit. Now, it's time to upgrade the reel. I finally have enough money saved up to do this. I am leaning towards the battenkill II disc or the Hydros SL II. Is the hydros worth the extra $$? Or would I be better off with a battenkill anyway? I think I'm going to go with Orvis to "match" my rod, plus they are reliable in terms of quality and warranty benefits. I've been eyeing up reels for what feels like forever, and I'm ready to make the switch to a quality setup. Advice?

on another note, I already have rio gold line, but the tip of it got slightly stretched out due to a terribly positioned snag where I had to pull the line pretty aggressively to avoid either cutting the line itself or climbing a tree. I don't think I've noticed a difference, but I might if I were to compare it with brand new line. I'm not sure if its worth buying new line for it.

Thanks!!

blakew510 wrote:
So my girlfriend bought me an orvis clearwater rod to upgrade from my $100 cabelas starter kit. Now, it's time to upgrade the reel. I finally have enough money saved up to do this. I am leaning towards the battenkill II disc or the Hydros SL II. Is the hydros worth the extra $$? Or would I be better off with a battenkill anyway? I think I'm going to go with Orvis to "match" my rod, plus they are reliable in terms of quality and warranty benefits. I've been eyeing up reels for what feels like forever, and I'm ready to make the switch to a quality setup. Advice?

on another note, I already have rio gold line, but the tip of it got slightly stretched out due to a terribly positioned snag where I had to pull the line pretty aggressively to avoid either cutting the line itself or climbing a tree. I don't think I've noticed a difference, but I might if I were to compare it with brand new line. I'm not sure if its worth buying new line for it.

Thanks!!

Since money is a big consideration I would save $60 or so and go with the Battenkill Disc reel. It's a great reel for the money and more than enough reel for trout fishing.

5 wt line. floating

okay, this sounds like a wise move. I just keep getting tripped up by the hydros sl hype.

I have both the Battenkill Disc Reel(20 years old) and Hydros rigged with 5 wt. fly line with extra spools for floating and sinking tip fly lines. I also have the Clearwater for my 6 wt. fly rods. One reel for both floating and sinking tip.

I like all three of them.

Orvis has now upgraded their Clearwater fly reel so that you can get an extra spool. I think that that would be a good option for you to consider on a budget.

I think it is a good reel for the price, and the extra spool option gives you both the floating and sinking tip option depending on fishing conditions. It is both a disc drag and large arbor at a budget price.

Battenkill Disc Reel would be my pick.

Just go with something cheap. A reel on a 5wt around here only holds line.

Sounds like a good girlfriend there!

personally,i like a click and pawl reel.

i like the battenkill III better than disk models.

i think these look pretty good.

http://www.troutlet.com/Okuma-Sierra-Fly-Reel--P1305.aspx

Okuma makes a fine product...I used them for years. Thats a great practical choice!

With all the great reels available, you can easily go with what is appealing to you and have a great choice.

For regular trout fishing, a reel has to hold line and balance the rod correctly. Nothing more really. By balance the rod, I mean that attached the rod, line out through the guides, IMO the balance point should be somewhere around the front of the grip, just ahead of the hand. A heavier rod needs a heavier reel, and vice versa. If it's an empty reel just in the shop, line actually works out about equal. Backing and line adds a fair bit of weight to the back, close to the fulcrum, stringing the rod adds a small amount of weight to the front, far from the fulcrum.

But, you can ADD weight to a reel by putting some lead tape on it, under the backing, can't take off weight.

Another consideration, purely personal preference, is sound. I HATE click reels. Lol. I like the silent types. I know guys who love click reels.

Unless you're steelhead fishing, don't get caught up in the super large arbors and silky smooth drags. Nice? Sure. But not worth the money.

Back