Good Trout Karma

sarce

sarce

Last weekend, I made a trip to a small stream in Shenandoah National Park. This was before all of the recent rains and streams were very low. In one small pool, I spooked a large brook trout (about 10"), which took cover underneath an overhanging rock. Next thing I know, a water snake is swimming across the pool with the trout in its mouth!!! It must have been lying in wait under the same rock the trout picked to hide under. I watched them struggle in shallow water for a minute before deciding I felt bad for spooking the trout right into the jaws of the snake and decided to intervene (normally would have let nature take its course). I walked over and nudged the snake with my boot, snake ignored me so I finally just reached down and as soon as I touched the trout the snake let go. The trout fell into the water and darted off, and the snake crawled back under the rock.

I told a friend about that encounter when I got home, and joked that I had earned some good trout karma (and possibly really bad snake karma!). Well it must have actually worked, because that is the only way I can explain the kind of luck I've had since.

Tuesday night, a round of very heavy rain moved through the DC area. About 2" fell in a short time on my favorite wild brown trout stream in MD. I decided to drive up there after work the next day. At this time of year with the sun setting before 7 p.m, this meant I would be driving close to 90 minutes to the stream and would have about the same amount of time to fish. Out of that fishing time, I subtracted a half hour to hike up in to the best part of the stream and that left me with one hour to fish before dark. In the back of my mind I wondered if it would be worth it...

It was absolutely worth it. I caught a 15" wild brown on my first cast, then a few minutes later had a follow from a fish in the 20" range. I worked my way downstream, eventually stopping at one of those classic huge pools that never produces anything. A friend had recently caught a large brown here so I gave it more time than usual. After working this spot for a solid ten minutes, I finally made a cast toward an overhanging rock slab in dead calm water as far away from the current as you can get.

A HUGE fish cruised out and calmly inhaled the streamer and the "fight" was on...this fish was so old it really didn't fight much, just shook its head a lot and used its size to try to stay put. In short order I landed the largest trout of my life, a 22" wild brown! I had the gopro running so I set that on some rocks and used it to get a few seconds of footage with the beast. It was almost dark so it didn't turn out great, but you get the idea. Just a massive fish for such a small stream! In 6 years of fly fishing for trout, this was my first over 20 inches, stocked or wild.

If that wasn't enough to prove that I received some good trout karma...

Today I was exploring a new stream (also in MD) looking for native brookies. I caught a few small brookies here and there, but it was pretty mediocre. I made a cast toward a shady spot between a rock and an overhanging tree trunk, and drew a strike from what I thought was another dink brookie. However, when I got it to hand I saw that it was in fact a small TIGER TROUT!

You've gotta be kidding me...my biggest wild trout ever, and the holy grail wild tiger in less than a week?????????

Glad I saved that brookie from the water snake. ;-)

Attachments

• beastbrown.JPG
    beastbrown.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Tiger1.JPG
    Tiger1.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Tiger2.JPG
    Tiger2.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 3
  • TigerSpot.JPG
    TigerSpot.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 3
Congratulations!

That's some good trout karma.

Thats pretty awesome. Congrats.

GenCon

Congratulations on the large brown, and the tiger! Man. I have been fly fishing for 2 years now and the largest trout I have caught would be a 16" stocked rainbow, and a very nice 10" native brookie. Largest fish would be a 6 pound steelhead.

Hope you keep the good karma!

Sarce,
Nice work! That brownie is a Beast! Awesome looking Tiger as well!

The Tiger is amazing!!!!!!

Great story and fish! Thanks for sharing.

So, a tiger trout is a mix between a male brookie and female brown, or do I have that backward? And they are sterile?

Are there mixes of browns and brookies with rainbows, or do they spawn at a different time so they wouldn't mix?

PocketWater wrote:
So, a tiger trout is a mix between a male brookie and female brown, or do I have that backward? And they are sterile?

Are there mixes of browns and brookies with rainbows, or do they spawn at a different time so they wouldn't mix?

You have the parents correct and tigers are sterile.

Rainbows generally don't spawn at the same time as brooks and browns. Even if they did, I'm not sure if it would be possible to produce a hybrid rainbow + brook/brown, but I'm not a biologist. Tigers are interesting, because they are a cross-genera fish. Brooks and browns have different number of chromosomes (84/80) as well.

I think Pennsylvania is a good breeding ground for tigers, because we have a fair number of mixed brook/brown streams. They are rare enough that they are special to catch but there is really nothing you can do to target them, except put yourself on a stream that holds both brooks and browns. Lightning struck three times for me in one year; two of those tigers were also caught by other PAFF anglers and I spoke with another angler this year on a stream that I caught a tiger on and he said that was the only stream he had caught a tiger on as well (although we didn't have pics to compare). But I haven't seen one since. And it wouldn't surprise me if I never catch another wild one again.

Andrew,

Do you think the brown is a year-round resident or is there a larger body of water (river/lake) that it may have run up out of for the spawn?

That's some good information Salmonoid. How the heck to you know about trout chromosomes?

That is the type of thing I am loving about being a newer fly fisher. There is so much to learn beyond just the fishing. I have started to dig into the streamside entomology side of it and have been tying my own flies with success. Deciding to finally buck up the money for a whole new way of fishing (was a spinning/baitcaster for years) was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Thanks guys- two amazing fish for sure that I will never forget.

Kevin- they are year round residents in this stream. My friend has caught a 20 and 21 incher from the same stream this summer. It has incredible habitat and a great forage base.

Pocketwater- I believe I read somewhere that NJ is experimenting with brook/rainbow hybrids. Just a rumor though. No idea what one would look like.

Very nice run there no doubt! Great fish, both of them. Congrats on both. They'll be well worth the next water snake you see doing figure 8's between your legs!

That is kind of crazy Sarce. Are they trying to do that for a particular reason?

Nice fish! great Pics.

I thought that when you crossed a rainbow with a brown you get a bright neon yellow fish

Nice, wild tigers on the rise. I think PA should have an angler recognition program. Helps with making people aware of wild and native fish. Brookie, tiger, brown and rainbow. I can Guarantee that it would attract out of state anglers as well. Simple. Charge $10 for the certification. People love a button and a stamp- imagine the certification program.

Very nice trout .Wild tigers are certainly brightly colored. Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Awesome! Congrats

Back