Good news...bad news...worse news

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
Well you can decide the order of the first two. The last is reserved for my wife who owns the camera that I dunked last week. For one, you won't be putting up with my honey shots for a while....I tried drying it out but that didn't work. Then I took out every screw I could find and removed the plastic case as if I were along side the road looking under the hood. Said hmmm a coupla times and put it back together. After a week of cypherin' I am gonna get it fixed for about $100. (Costs about $350 new) Its a Kodak easyshare Z740. I know its big and clunky. but it has good glass and the glass is big. Thats what I like about it. And it has manual capabilities so you can get artsy with it. So I will not pull the plug on it.

Here is the question. I would like to get another digital that is water resistane or even waterproof. I guess I will be giving up glass inthe lens but I think I could live with that on the crik. When I bought this one there was an Olympus that could shoot underwater for about $300. And I remember Pad took a shot of a fish I caught underwater but I don't remember the camera name.

Any suggestions?

This probably isn't your best choice, but....

I have a Canon Powershot. Great little point and shoot camera, takes unbelievable pictures (compared to other digital cameras I've seen). Just can't go wrong with Canon. But no, by itself the camera is not waterproof. But Canon does make waterproof cases for all, or at least most, of its camera models. They are designed for snorkeling. It's clear plastic, with buttons on the outside, the camera is fully functional while in the case, even underwater.

Case will cost you an extra $100 or so, give or take $20. It also takes a nice little point and shoot and makes it fairly bulky, no more pocketing it. You'd have to wear around the neck or figure something else out; I just attach it to the front of my Richardson. But it does save the camera on the stream from dropping, getting wet, sand, etc. And when you get home, pop it out of the case and its the nice little point and shoot family camera again.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1287

this be what you looking for? There are probably older models you could get at a better price on tigerdirect.com

Got the Olympus Stylus 770 SW.

Would not take half the pictures I do with out a water proof camera. It has come down in price since I bought it- so far in the two years of ownership it has been flawless. Can get shots off in less than 10 seconds.

I had a pentax..ate batteries...ask about service...135 bucks...replaced it for half that...

Mo,

I've been looking at those camera's for years but I just haven't been able to justify it yet. Here's what I normally do.

Stylus's on Ebay

Not sure if this matters- but it has a recargable battery that when fully charged will last for several dozen photos over many days. It will also take video for many minutes. Member mute got a reconditioned one from somewhere for a reduced price awhile back.

I used every kind of battery there was. Fully charged rechargeables would completely discharge when loaded into this Pentax before taking any pics. Went online and found this to be a common problem with pentax optio cameras. Oddly, none of the people who reviewed this camera with that problem owned the waterproof version. Here is a good deal on the Olympus.

Good ideas guys....I am seeing this
Olympus 760 (not the 770) for $100 at Ritz. The 770 more like $220. That's be fine for banging around the crik and fish pics. But if I wanted to do more with it, I don't know.

Or

TheCanon Powershot A 590 ($129) with this cheap case
. I am just a little nervous about the case being fully waterproof.

Waddyathink

I've never looked at the 760 but if the pic on Ritz' site is correct, I don't know how it could be 'weather proof' but it may be all semantics. The 770 and up are all sealed cases with no moving parts outside of it. Just a thought.

PS

After a bit of reading on it, it appears that it is built for a little bit of inclement weather but I'm not sure if it would withstand a good 'dunking' which I know I'm prone to. Several cell phones have gone by way of the stream.

Check out these batteries. They are the cats ***. If you don't like them when you buy them I will buy them for the Ebay price of $8 for 4. Duracell rechargeable 2650mhA

They last months in my digital. Hundreds of pics. I can find no better. My recharging table/area looks like consumer reports.

Maurice,

The submersible camera I have is a 35mm. Honestly, I cannot remember the name either.

I'd be lying if I thought the SW takes the best quality photo's but it can take close ups of bugs,movies. Has more settings than I care to use but it is fairly simple to operate and above all is shock and waterproof. I don't worry if I get wet or fall in and it can takes some licks. It is also very small.

I could'nt deal with the waterproof bag- felt like it took to long to get shots off.

StudentofTheStream wrote:
I've never looked at the 760 but if the pic on Ritz' site is correct, I don't know how it could be 'weather proof' but it may be all semantics. The 770 and up are all sealed cases with no moving parts outside of it. Just a thought.

PS

After a bit of reading on it, it appears that it is built for a little bit of inclement weather but I'm not sure if it would withstand a good 'dunking' which I know I'm prone to. Several cell phones have gone by way of the stream.

Yer right...just weather proof. I could swear it said underwater when I first found it.

All-Weather Designed - to let you shoot in rain, snow, sleet, or hail! The splashproof Stylus 760 lets you shoot anywhere and in all types of weather conditions thanks to rubber seals and gaskets positioned throughout the camera.

Was it Sal or Mute that used to post all the pics and videos? whoever it was had a olympus XXXsw of some kind. I always thought they looked great.

It was mute:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2932&forum=3&post_id=25993#forumpost25993

Mo, here are two unbiased reviews for both the Olmpus and Pentax. Both look good:

http://scubadiverinfo.com/3_cameras_olympus_770sw.html

http://www.digitalcameraroundup.com/3_pentax_optio_w60.html

I gotta have a camera with SD card and that uses AAA's, plus 10x optical, Canon Power Shot fits all these requirements

Dear Maurice,

If you really are worried about dunking just keep checking fleabay and buy something decent when the price is right. I bought an Olympus SP-320 a couple of months ago brand new in the box for $ 60.00. 7.1MP, 3X optical zoom, 4X digital zoom, fully manual, spot metering, a couple of macro modes, blah, blah, blah, and guess what - IT HAS ONE OF THOSE SQUARE THINGIES ON TOP ON THE BACK OF THE CAMERA THAT YOU LOOK THROUGH TO TAKE THE PICTURE! I think it was formerly know as a viewfinder but I'm not sure because cameras haven't had them for about 5 years now!

It's not waterproof, but for the same price as my weekend beer budget I ain't gonna complain.

I'm saving up for a Nikon D-90, I only have to save for about 2 years and I'll have enough do-re-mi to get one! Or I could just sell some of the stuff I don't use and have the money in about 3 days but I'm such a packrat that I can't ever get rid of anything.

If you want a 35MM waterproof camera I'll make you a deal on my Minolta. It's just a point and shoot but it has 2 different lens settings, a built in flash, and it floats. My brother and I used to use it belly boating and if I had it and he wanted it I'd just toss it too him and he'd kick over and get it. It works great, I even took a picture of minnows swimming around his head one day when we decided swimming was more productive than fishing.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Back