girls that fly fish

I'm glad so many responded to your post.

If you're ever going to be in the Scranton area let me know.

Dan,
Thanks for correction.
Yes; TU – Penn’s Woods West will meet in Grazie, Wexford, North Hills,
100 Village Run Rd., Wexford, PA 15090

Grazie! - Restaurant and Event Center, located in the Oxford Athletic Club in Wexford.

Pictures are from last Monday – bar flies event.

Attachments

• Grazie.jpg
    Grazie.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4
  • Jeff - fly fish expert.jpg
    Jeff - fly fish expert.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for all the info guys! I'm on my way to the bookstore now. Maurice, I googled Neshannock, and it looks like a perfect spot where I can go alone to fish, although I do hope to hook up with some of you in the next year. Cathy, I'll be happy to head your way after my student leaves, do you camp? I'm really hoping to find friends that do, I'm only 55, and not yet ready to give that up.
Kathy

Kathy,
I haven't camped in a few years but I still have all my stuff. Maybe next year when things warm up we can meet somewhere in the middle, like State College.

Im 58 and while I don't amble up down river banks like I used to, I think I do pretty good for my age.

Let's do it Cathy! Hopefully I'll meet more campers along my journey. I carried mail for 34 years, so use to always being outdoors, feeling boxed in at times, my Colorado friends don't really want me to venture off alone, but yet they don't want me to go with strangers, go figure........ my emails in an earlier message, stay in touch! I'm off to Peru in a few days :)

I was of the same mindset as brookiechaser when I saw the thread. There's a bunch of good folks on here that are more than willing to help out. Welcome to the board and welcome to Pennsyltucky

I'm a western PA guy, transplanted to eastern PA. So I can't help much with meeting up and showing of the ropes. I'm happy to share knowledge though.

As was said, around Pittsburgh there are a few stocked streams, that all in all aren't very good but can scratch the itch now and then. To your SE is the Laurel Highlands, with the Yough (which is very good, but humbling at times), and some smaller wild trout waters. 2-3 hrs to your east you get into central PA where our state's best trout fishing can be found (meaning wild trout in big water thanks to limestone geology). And to your north you have Slippery Rock, Neshannock, etc., which are also stocked streams but of better quality than the ones around the city.

My specialty area I know best in western PA is a little farther north, more like 2+ hrs. We have a cabin up there and I grew up fishing the area, and I know just about every trickle. It's generally a box outlined by Oil City, Marienville, Warren, and Corry, and includes the western side of the Allegheny National Forest. Generally the area consists of large stocked streams and small wild trout streams. All of the streams in the area are freestoners, and as such, the large ones simply get too warm in the summer for trout to survive, and hence no wild trout. But they are clean, with good hatches, good structure, and stocked reasonably heavily. As you get to smaller waters, they stay cooler, and wild trout begin to be present. In that area, generally west of the Allegheny River is flatter country, which leads to lower gradient waters, and the wild trout are mostly browns. East of the Allegheny is a little more mountainous (hilly by western standards), forested, and the wild trout are mostly brook trout.

I also lived in State College for 3 years and know central PA fairly well.

If you plan a trip to these places, I likely can't join ya, but I can certainly steer you in the right direction. Feel free to PM me.

I have fished Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, etc. I have a feeling what you'll gather is that what we call "big" and "small" is very different. Our "big" waters would be considered small by western standards, and our small waters little more than drainage ditches by western standards. That said, we still have a LOT of water. It's just smaller country. There's a lot more valleys, and every one of them holds a small stream.

We have over 3000 wild trout streams in the state, and hundreds more that are stocked. In the west, they thought nothing of travelling an hour to fish a stream, or even a different part of the same stream. Here, in the better parts of the state, an hours drive means you're passing 100's of different streams. But Pittsburgh is NOT one of the better parts of the state, in terms of trout fishing, anyway.

Resources:

Wild trout streams with natural reproduction (list). Includes all streams that have wild trout somewhere along their lengths, listed in order of the county of their MOUTH. This is rarely but sometimes important. For instance, in an extreme example, the Allegheny River is listed as Allegheny County, but the wild trout are 4+ hrs away in Potter County!

These streams can be hit or miss, some are posted, etc. But if you like to explore, this is my go-to

http://fishandboat.com/trout_repro.htm

And here is the same list in zoomable google maps form:

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=980

The class A list. These are considered our "best" wild trout streams, based on lbs of fish per surface area above a certain threshold. It gives more info, for instance, specific stretches and species. But keep in mind on many of them, sampling may be 20 years or more. So some of these streams may not technically be class A any longer, and some on the previous list may have gotten better and should be included. The list is available on the PFBC site. Here's the map:

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=986

You can get "approved trout waters" (means stocked) here:

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/troutwaters.html

And the map:

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=963

And Kathy has now been PCray'd!

Back