Garlic and Anise Scent Attractant

Garlic and anise are edible, are they not? The PFBC states that in ALO areas; "The use or possession of any natural bait, baitfish, fishbait, bait paste and similar substances, fish eggs (natural or molded) or any other edible substance is prohibited." If not in one of the ALO areas, what the heck, go for it. Share your sammich!

Try waxies under a bobber... ask beaver how he liked the beating his fish took wit that... f it... the only unfair advantage that is out there is doing something illegally... nothing wrong with being more stealthy then the lazy guy nec to you

I used a pheromone based cologne to attract a certain blonde. It worked.

I don't think scents are legit in ALO areas, but everywhere else if you feel a need to I wouldn't complain. However, plenty of trout hit flies w/o scent.

I have a warning I got from a steelie guy who tried misc concoctions on his flies. First, they can corrode hooks or destroy flies, especially the salt based ones. Basically all his flies were a rusty brown color a few weeks after the scent experiment. Second, scented flies can get pretty ripe sitting in a flybox in a hot trunk. You are now warned.

Only time i can see this being useful is if im 95 years old and it takes me 2 minutes to set the hook. Or when fishing in the winter cold and the trout are only lip bumping your size 22 hooks thus making it near impossible to hook up in time. Although ive had days where im 10/10 and days im 1/10 on lethargic hook ups. I probably wouldnt bother with the scent

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Might work in a pond or lake where the fish have a while to "smell".In a stream,probably not.Anise may work on dead bait,but the natural smell of a sardien should be enough,Ive used anise oil,but menhaden,works better for kings and mackrel.I know the salmon guides in alaska use scents on their egg clusters..Also many of them use rubber gloves to avoid human scent.

the majority of salmon guides in alaska don't even use flies anymore, they've progressed to beads :(

EDIT: before I did this, I would just let me flies sit in a pack of powerworms for a few days...

... btw, I am pinning with minnows and p-dubs the first day. stoked.

Back