From First to Last - Top Trout Fishing REGIONS in Pennsylvania Ranked

There is a lot of water in the NW area that has little pressure on it. My time in Clarion was spent chasing trout and I believe those creeks still have a fair share of good fish in them. GG

I live in the SW and can say with confidence it’s clearly #7. I think your splitting hairs between Central and North Central as those two areas are clearly the best. NW and NE would be the second tier.

My Rankings:
1. Central
2. North Central
3. North West
4. North East
5. South Central
6. South East
7. South West

I feel down now but I landed last year in W PA small small bass and a couple of snakes…

H Bridge
:rolleyes:

Living in Minersville in Schuylkill Co.....My sincere apologies to the rest of the NE region for bringing the area ranking down. LOL
There are a few native spots that would surprise the uninitiated but you could pretty much just take a pair of scissors and cut us right off the map. :ROFLMAO:
We don't even have the amount of put and take squishies that we used to. LOL

Living in Minersville in Schuylkill Co.....My sincere apologies to the rest of the NE region for bringing the area ranking down. LOL
There are a few native spots that would surprise the uninitiated but you could pretty much just take a pair of scissors and cut us right off the map. :ROFLMAO:
We don't even have the amount of put and take squishies that we used to. LOL

I like the stinkbait you’re tossing there. 😜

I agree, Skuke County sucks. Hehe.

1) NC - always been my favorite region to fish in the state

2) Central - I haven’t fished here that much but it’s clear how good it is.

3) NW - I’m giving this region a bump due to a legitimate chance of catching a 30” trout whether it be Erie tribs or Alleghany River. I caught 4 so far this year. Clarion River also holds very large trout too. My camp is in this region and there is also a good mix of small wild trout streams.

4) SC - we used to vacation here to fish (my mom got a raw deal)

5) NE - only fished there a handful of days, but it was enjoyable.

6) SE

7) SW

Last edited:
Dear Board,

Thirty years ago the rankings were much easier.

NE, C, and NC were pretty much tied at #1. You just needed to pick brook trout or brown trout and commence fishing.

Twenty years ago, SC would have been a solid 2. With my 3 #1 places and a solid #2 there was no reason for me to travel anywhere else.

The bigger thing to me is that so much has changed over the last 20 to 30 years, and absolutely none of it has been for the better. Places that I fished years ago in solitude are now literally paved over.

I'll stop now, I'm too old and jaded to harsh the mellows of the younger crowd.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back