Flying with fly rods

I got a bit of a hassle on Jet Blue.Had a short rod case and carry on bag with reels .After a visual inspection ,even after the XRay machine, everything was a go. Four piece rods are the ticket.
You are probably more likely to lose stuff that is checked on.Had my waders and clothes lost by Airtran and won't fly them again.
American is the best if you fly overseas.No problem with rods or guns and ammo when I went to New Zealand.Checked in at Tampa and picked up in Christshurch with nothing missing or delayed.

Dear Troy,

First things first. If you want to ship a rod use the freaking US Postal Service. UPS has gotten old, fat, lazy and overly expensive.

The good old US Postal Service blows them away in terms of pricing, speed, and efficiency. UPS seems more concerned with making only right hand turns than they are with delivering a package on time and in good condition. I won't use them even on a dare.

I've shipped 7' 6" one piece rods from the local Post Office for less than $ 15.00. I'm looking at a heavy walled PVC tube that was used to ship an 8' 6" two piece fly rod to me and the shipping label from the US Postal Service reads $ 8.25 and the rod was also insured for $ 200.00. It took two days to get here from IN so within a week you can send one to Oregon.

As far as flying goes like some people said it really depends on where you are going. If you attempt to board a flight to Denver from Philly with a rod tube you probably won't get a second look. Even a 9 foot two piece will fit in the clothes closet on the plane and most stewardesses have asked me if I wanted to put the rod in the forward closet. I've done that numerous times with no problems.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Just in general, I'd never give those baboons the pleasure of breaking my rods. We have it down to an Art if you're a serious fisherman. The carry on has a toothbrush, toothpaste, contact lens solution, advil and deoderant. Flies, reels, tippet extra spools etc. Dry socks! 2 T-shirts and extra underware and snack bars. The rods are taped together and wrapped zipper length between the handle os the pack. I'd never buy a 2 piece rod again. Oh and don't pack your leatherman in your carry on.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't feel like taking the chance so I bought my girfriend a cheap Cabela's 4 piece rod. It actually doesn't seem too bad. It cost me $60 icluding the rod tube I bought. I am going to tie that rod and my own rod together and that will be my carry on. I just didn't feel like dealing with the hassle. It seems like it can go either way. Thanks again!

Troy

I've taken a 3 1/2 foot plastic tube with a poster for prestentation at a scientific meeting on a plane with me and not had any trouble. I think you'll be OK taking your rod on the plane.

Back