FlyFishing the Chesapeake

Walleigh_World

Walleigh_World

Hoping to go to maryland alot this summer. Any of you guys ever flyfish the bay? i want to get an outfit to take there this summer, but i dont know the first thing about flyfishing for anything other than trout, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Put this in the warm water fly fishing section numb nuts :D hahaha

WW,
You can definitely ff in the bay but it is mainly a boat fishery - places where you can wade or fish from shore are limited. The primary fish pursued by FFers is striped bass (known locally as "rockfish" or simply, "rock") but there are also bluefish, weakfish, fluke, and a host of other catchable species. Summer is a bit of a tough time as fish are often in deep water. If you can get out in late Sept or October the fishing is usually better.

He's got a boat.

Walleigh, looks like we're gunna have to make a sept,oct trip down there. I'm gunna start gearing up now! heh

I tried to find somewhere to put this other than in here, but i couldnt find anyhting lol. but yeah i have a boat i can take out. im just looking for some pointers on how to get some stripers on

WW,
The standard FFing outfit mostly used in the bay would be a 9WT. Having a boat will open a lot of options. Where and how to fish depends much on season and locations as the bay is a very large and complex fishery. Many FFers, esp in late summer and fall, simply cruise the bay looking for fish working the surface. Bring binoculars and learn to keep an eye out for diving seagulls and terns - they're a salt angler's best friend. If you can find fish feeding on schools of bait on the surface you should have a good day. If you have a friend or family member who fishes the bay frequently (doesn't have to be a FFer), invite them out with you and observe how they fish and where as this info will prove invaluable.

What part of the bay will you be in the most ??? I grew up around the susky flats and turkey point...Theres areas down there a 6 wt would work then others you'll need a 9wt and sinking heads..During the summer most fish will be deep until late in the day at sundown. Theres also bass, pickeral, perch, catfish, cow nosed rays to catch there as well.

Back