Fly tying tunes

I susually sit with the tv on with sound down low and my back to the tv. music is a distraction when I'm tying.

I love to tie with some "classic rock" in the background....... and a comfy highback swivel chair, and a glass of chilled wine or bourbon!

I'm stuck in a time warp with my tying music. I always go back to Dylan, Led Zep, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Beatles and Stones! I've listened to some new stuff, but the 60's and 70's music is in my DNA?

The older I get the less time I want to spend sitting at the bench without a break. I'm now on a kick where I read novels and tie. I go upstairs and read a chapter and then go tie a fly, read another chapter and tie another fly. Yep, I'm different alright. Of course, those who have fished with me already knew that! I'm on a stimulator kick right now. Those babies kick a$$ for brookie fishing. They float like a cork and wear like iron!

I always have music on, but only bluegrass. Started out tying years and years ago when my wife was working in nursing and would work a 3 to 11 shift. Bluegrass and flies until she got home. She probably always wondered why I didn't seem to miss her as much as she thought I should have.

just_jon wrote:
Pink Floyd gets my creative juices flowing. [/quote]
x2
Thanks,
Sean

Right now I'm tying to Cavo didn't kill me yet lol flies arn't looking too bad either.

"Jackson Hole" by Casey Chambers
(with Shane Nicholson)

I'll trade those city lights and crowded sky's
Roll down Snake River with a box full of flies

Come on White Water make this old girl sing
And teach this young girl how to Western Swing

Life's gonna be better now Better in Jackson Hole

No California dreaming, anymore,
I'll put Wyoming out of my back Door

Life's gonna be better now Better in Jackson Hole

Get a little bit of Rise and fall

Don't take no wedding ring, Don't set no Trap
We're chasing freedom at the end of the Map

Life's gonna be better now,
Better in Jackson Hole

Life's gonna be better now
Better in Jackson Hole

Just one great song, off a great album to tie sum flies to!

and of course, The Grateful Dead, JGB, Ratdog, Kenny Wayne Sheperd, Taj Mahal, Jack White, Black Keys, Cold War Kids, Keller Williams, Pink Floyd, and many more! Gotta have music when Im tying, or doing pretty much anything.

"I don't always have to listen to music..... But if I don't, I'll compulsively click my teeth for hours to whatever's stuck in my head" Pilfered from TPFD

It's either "Outlaw Country" on sirius/xm or the random on i-tunes which could be Iggy or Enya................heh

I usually put the tv on for some background sounds. Anything pretty much goes.

Lately its been Mad Max on AMC, a marathon on the presidents on History Channel, and on Sat it was a Lemmy(Motorhead) doc on VH1 Classic.

If I can tie flys and learn something at the same time its a win win situation!

hammertime wrote:
I usually put the tv on for some background sounds. Anything pretty much goes.

Lately its been Mad Max on AMC, a marathon on the presidents on History Channel, and on Sat it was a Lemmy(Motorhead) doc on VH1 Classic.

If I can tie flys and learn something at the same time its a win win situation!

I don't know why, but I would have pegged you as blasting some MC Hammer...

Maybe in 6th grade!

I realized this weekend that the only time I have to tie is when the 3 year old is occupied on the computer. I load up disney.com and let him play all the games while I whip up bugs. If I'm still awake enough by the time I get him to bed, then I'll put on some tunes but the majority of tying these days is done with him banging on the mouse and the theme to Jake and the Neverland Pirates blasting out of the PC speakers.

I'd have to agree with dub...Seems lately any project or free time I have for hobby is spent with company from Mickey Mouse, Jake & Pirates or Little Einsteins. However, I will admit my son does love some 'Bob' (Bob Marley).

1wt wrote:
I love to tie with some "classic rock" in the background....... and a comfy highback swivel chair, and a glass of chilled wine or bourbon!

I'm stuck in a time warp with my tying music. I always go back to Dylan, Led Zep, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Beatles and Stones! I've listened to some new stuff, but the 60's and 70's music is in my DNA?

Are we still in a time warp when the originals continue trying to make music no matter how old and decrepit they become?

I always listen to music when i tie. It actually distracts me, but I need to listen to it. Tying seems more like I'm being forced to do it if there isn't any music on, kind of like a job. I enjoy tying, but I also think it's a lot of work. I'd much rather be fishing.

Just one song Queen I WANT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!

I jam to Bob Marley and Sean Kingston while tying. If no one is around that is.

I always tie to music, hell, I do everything to music. My tastes change quite a bit, but it's usually on the heavier side, Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, Machine head, and the like. Lately it has been Sabaton.

tying and music go hand and hand. I usually just put on Pandora. but i have several tying playlist usually consisting of bands like the avett brothers, a rap playlist with people like biggie and nas, , led. lately i have been listening to Kendrick lamar and asap rocky and mac miller and chiddy bang. it changes every day.

Musicians are not athletes or jet pilots "Old and decrepit?" intolerance is not a good thing for anyone to embrace. Rumors circulating lately are that the ROLLING STONES are planning a 2013 tour. Give yourself a treat and buy a ticket and check the "old and decrepit" boys out. The Worlds Greatest Rock n Roll Band!!!!!

Back