Fly tying kit or buy tools separate?

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05 wrote:
I was wondering what the comb will be used for?

Also, any ideas for a good book with some instruction and patterns that I will be using here in central Pa?

To brush out hair before stacking it. There's alot of underfur and fluff in there that hinders your ability to work with it.

Book? I dunno... I don't think a book is neccessary, persay. I mean, its helpful, but in my case a computer is right next to my tying area, so I just lookup what I want and look at step-by-steps, videos, or pictures where appropriate.

Patterns? This gets hashed over pretty badly 'round here, and everyone has a thousand suggestions. FWIW, in dry flies I find comparaduns to be the easiest to tie, and they're cheap (no hackle). Soft hackle wets are easy (peacock-and-partridge, floss-and-partridge, etc). Hare's Ears, Pheasant Tails, and whatever name little caddis larva patterns go by all round it out.

B&G - Are you coming to the Jam next weekend? If so, I'll be there Friday night, and I might be able to help you out with a cd that was put together by a friend of mine for Fly Anglers Online. He encourages the people he sent it to, to share it with other flyfishermen. It has a ton of patterns and even tying tips for beginners from the late Al Campbell on it. If anyone wants a copy, just bring a blank CD-R along, and I'll burn one for you on the spot.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
B&G - Are you coming to the Jam next weekend? If so, I'll be there Friday night, and I might be able to help you out with a cd that was put together by a friend of mine for Fly Anglers Online. He encourages the people he sent it to, to share it with other flyfishermen. It has a ton of patterns and even tying tips for beginners from the late Al Campbell on it. If anyone wants a copy, just bring a blank CD-R along, and I'll burn one for you on the spot.

I'm not sure if I can make it yet or not. Not sure at all what my work schedule will be for the end of the week yet. Happens with construction type work. If I am able to make it, I don't think I'd be camping but since I live fairly close, I'd like to stop in for a night to meet some of the members here. The CD sounds very interesting. Hopefully I can make it up there Friday night. Thanks again!

Back