Fly Line

Maurice - to take your long term value out a longer time frame, you are a candidate for silk. I hear tell that they last 10 times as long as the plastic lines.

I'm conducting tests on all of these, but I don't know if I have enough lifetimes to find out the answer. I track the ffishing hours on all my lines (less than 200, though not much less :cool: ). The worst lines for longevity/durability were mistreated Masterlines, some experimental lines (which never got to market), and a few cheapos (though not all) - these might have gotten to 35 hrs.

I used to consider Cortland peach 444's as the benchmark, since they would go up to 300 hrs per side (I prefer DT), while the average at that time of others was 150hrs.

More recent lines tend to be better - I just passed 300 on an old Airflo, which is now finally broken in so most of the twisties are gone. And I see various SciAng. other Cortland, RIO's, Orvises, and Airflos tend to go way past 200 and still looking reasonably ok.

The most I have on any silk is 113.6, so I guess it is just getting broken in. :-D

tl
les

Back