Fly Line to leader connection

wg,

I can't imagine using the same leader everywhere. I mean, casting into "jump-across" brookie stream through a tube of rhododendron, deep nymphing a fast cut, and laying out a trico on flat water are completely different approaches and require different leaders to be successful.

A minute to adjust the leader and tippet, followed by 1 perfect cast, will outfish 5 sloppy casts every time.

If the fly line doesnt have a pre-made loop i will use the slip on "chinese finger cuff" style loops secured with a nail knot and loon knot sense.

i also buy furled leaders with loops so changes are quick and easy

Crotalus wrote:
If the fly line doesnt have a pre-made loop i will use the slip on "chinese finger cuff" style loops secured with a nail knot and loon knot sense.

i also buy furled leaders with loops so changes are quick and easy

How do you secure them with a nail knot?

I don't know much about furled leaders. I always thought they were more for dry flies or no? Can you nymph with them?

jayL wrote:

I slide the connector onto the fly line, then cinch it so the web "bites" into the fly line which is how they are intended to work, then near the end of the connector (far from loop) i take a 12" piece of 10lb mono and use it to tie a nail knot around the connector and fly line, then coat the knot and the end of the connector with Knot Sense, also add a nail knot near the loop to make sure it doesnt come apart

check out this link, has a picture. Oh an dif you read my reply there ignore the Dave's Flexament reference, the knot sense works much better

http://talkflyfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=18152

Crotalus wrote:
jayL wrote:

I slide the connector onto the fly line, then cinch it so the web "bites" into the fly line which is how they are intended to work, then near the end of the connector (far from loop) i take a 12" piece of 10lb mono and use it to tie a nail knot around the connector and fly line, then coat the knot and the end of the connector with Knot Sense, also add a nail knot near the loop to make sure it doesnt come apart

check out this link, has a picture. Oh an dif you read my reply there ignore the Dave's Flexament reference, the knot sense works much better

http://talkflyfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=18152

Excellent. Thanks!

I have tons of packages of the things lying around, and I'll be able to use them now.

JustFish wrote:
I don't know much about furled leaders. I always thought they were more for dry flies or no? Can you nymph with them?

i use furled leaders for nymphs. They can be made from thread, mono and even fluorocarbon. some folks even furl in fluorescent colors so they can act as indicators.

pcray,

I have to admit that I carry a leader wallet with 3X-7X 7 1/2' & 9' knotless leaders although I don't use them. Perhaps over time I may switch back to them, but in the meantime I'm teaching myself to fish using one furled leader and adjusting tippet sections as necessary. I typically use a 3' furled leader on my 6' 3wt and a 6' furled on my 9' 5wt.

JustFish wrote:

Not braided leaders, but furled leaders.

Braided leaders have a hollow core, I presume they float very well.. The furled, leader, on the other hand, is tightly knit together and seems to work very in a manner similar to a regular mono leader.

They're very supple, they really can turn over in just your hand. I'm not sure if that really conveys any benefit to my casting, or not, but I do know I haven't had a single wind knot this season.

(knock on wood)

I bought a couple of Blue Sky furled leaders on my last trip to Cabela's for $12/per. I see them cheaper in other places, including the guy who runs a fly shop who posts here (sorry, I forget your name). You can also tie your own, although the instructions were pretty intense.

I have found that the loops on blue sky leaders come undone. I liked them, but that was unacceptable.

Anyone have a solution? I know some are made with a metal ring, but I don't like the idea of that.

jayL wrote:
I have found that the loops on blue sky leaders come undone. I liked them, but that was unacceptable.

Anyone have a solution? I know some are made with a metal ring, but I don't like the idea of that.

Dunno, i get mine from one of the guys that runs the site i linked too, been using them for 3 years with no loop problems.

Back