Fly Fishing or Spinning Gear: What has caught you more "trophy" size fish?

Oh ye of little faith. Pete it's been my experience that another trophy trout will move in once it's predecessor has been removed. I'll post a pic for you when I get him.

Didn't mean to imply I didn't believe you -I have seen that a few times myself.Saw that with a trout on the Beaverhead in Montana-guy walking down the road,with a trout who's tail was dragging on the ground
My ten pounder ,I never caught
Guy with a channel bass at Hatteras-my 30 pounder I didn't get.A truly huge largemouth bass in Delaware
I felt your pain,Pocono Puke-

more then a few times.lol

I've had about 6 years of exclusive fly fishing for trout that followed about 6 years of spin fishing for trout.

# of fish - flyfishing by a large margin
# of big fish - spinfishing by a large margin

That being said, I covered water quicker and focused on big trout water (deep holes, large runs) while spin fishing becasue its harder to hit the riffles and pocket water spin fishing like you can with flyfishing.

I also timed it once and found that I cast a spinning rod 2-3 times much per unit time as I did with a fly rod.

If I fished with streamers exclusively when fly fishing, I suspect it'd be closer to even on both accounts.

Back