Fly Fishing Memories of 2015

Those are all really good pics, krayfish!

I was fortunate enough to spend 4 months out west this past summer. The last 5 weeks I traveled from ID to OR, CA, AZ and CO.

If I think on it I could probably come up with many- here's three.

1, Green Drakes on Railroad Ranch stretch of the Henry's Fork. Several 20 inchers landed.

2. Fished the Yellowstone River above Emigrant but below Yankee Jim the week it became fishable. In 3-4 hours, I got a Yellowstone Slam- whitefish, cut bow , Yellowstone cutty , brown and rainbow. Cubby with Prince dropper. It's was murder.

3. Caught 20 fish? (I don't know, a lot) at the Ruby. It was sweet because the two prior forays were very poor. They were all big fish. Small PT's on the bottom hovered them up

Don't put off fishing your dreams, life is too short.

My fondest fly fishing memory so far for 2015.

I suppose it was the few days I spent in a rented cabin in PA with retired teacher from Florida, a chain smoking Jew, a cop, and the last night, some guy with an accent that takes too may pictures.

Maybe I should just leave the rest to your imagination.

FD...I just shot coffee on the computer screen. FLMAO!!!

I have that same memory from 2015 only from a slightly different perspective.

2015 was certainly a breakout year for me. I did a lot of fishing on a lot of different water. So all the experiences were different...but great!! Had a few very memorable record days and caught a few truly impressive fish.

Got to see my "old" friends and meet a bunch more for the first time from the forum. I've said it before...getting together in new places with old and new friends alike is the fun of this sport...catching a few fish in between just makes it better.

Looking forward to 2016 already.

My Son's first 100% on his own fly fishing day.

His 1st hook-up.

Working%2Bthe%2BTenkara.jpg

And first fish

16%2BTen%2BRainbow.jpg

Mine are mostly memories made with my boy Corbin. He started roll casting by himself, and reeling in trout by himself. Most of which were on my 10'4 wt fly rod. We had a blast and he brought some really nice fish to hand. My best fly only memory is when he caught his first fish on the fly pretty much all by himself, he roll casted it by himself, and tried to hook it but I had to give a little reassuring tug, and he reeled it all in himself. He is still getting used to setting the hook.

He caught a few fish over 15" this year. One tank of a rainbow about 17, and a hold over brown around 16-17". He fell in love with trout fishing in general, and it made me not even want to fish, and just enjoy watching him learn. My favorite year fly fishing yet, and have probably fished the least amount.

^^most of this happened before his 3rd birthday as well. :)

mine :

1) first trip out west to WA for steelhead. no luck but what an amazing place the Olympic Peninsula is.

2) three days on the Delaware in May on the DreamCatchers waters. caught 1 x 20" wild brown, and 2 around 18" - all on jacks Mink Nymph.

3) After two years of low water, this year I nailed an Atlantic Salmon in Ireland on my first ever self tied Tube fly - a Dee Monkey.

But more importantly I got one more chance to fish with my Dad. at 86 now, those days are dwindling away sadly as he could only fish 2 hours at a time. but I know he loved every minute of it and in years to come, those days will be treasured memories for me once he hangs up his fishing hat or he casts his line for the first time on the great trout stream in the sky.

cheers

Mark.

Geebee,
I wish you more chances with your Dad.

1. First tiger trout ever, wild.
2. My sons first lmb on his 5th birthday

FSCN0523_zpshpeosjob.jpg

20150901_185152-1_zpstduw0hzq.jpg

ryansheehan wrote:
1. First tiger trout ever, wild.
2. My sons first lmb on his 5th birthday

Two memorable moments right there! Thanks for sharing both.

Back