Fly fishing at Ole Bull

jifigz

jifigz

My lady and I are headed up to Ole Bull State Park on Sunday morning and staying the night until Monday. I've never been there and I've never wet a line in Kettle. Will the stream be in good shape temperature wise for trout fishing? If not and it typically warms up, are there smallies or sunfish that far up Kettle? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks folks!

Based on its gauge at Cross Fork (a few miles downstream of Ole Bull) it's been ranging from about 62-68 degrees in temperature over the course of the day for the last few days. Flow at 110 cfs is low by Spring time standards, but VERY good for August. I'd expect it to fish very well.

If it does warm up too much for any reason over the weekend (that seems unlikely though given the forecast), I'd hop over the mountain and head down into Slate Run and fish Pine there. Plenty of Smallies over there. Though there's some Smallies in Kettle, there's far more in Pine.

I appreciate the response Swattie! This isn't really a fishing trip but more of a camping trip with the lady. I'm hoping to squeeze a couple of hours of fishing in though since I'm right on Kettle. My girlfriend (might as well be wife since we've been together for a decade) are trying to camp at every state park in PA that offers camping and at least visit all of them. It's like a little check list for us.

I've camped there with my wife and she liked it.

My guess would be that Kettle should fish well this summer.

If the water is getting warm at Ole Bull, simply fish further upstream on Kettle or on its tributaries.

Ole Bull is a very nice place to camp.

Fished Kettle in Ole Bull many times. Never saw or caught anything but trout. It is an excellent camp ground, very well maintained.

Good advice by Troutbert to fish further upstream. The gauge on Kettle is about 1/2 - 3/4 mile below Cross Fork. Every day from June 30 to July 20 the high mark hit 72-79 degrees. It peaked on July 16 when it hit 79 degrees. I’m assuming many trout were lost in the main stem. Temps are good now if the fish found a way to beat the heat.

There are lots of brook trout streams in the area, if trout fishing is what you prefer.

I found about 2 hours of time Monday morning to explore Kettle Creek a bit. I fished from 7-9 am and only caught one wild brown trout about 5 inches long. I walked the trail up on the right side (going upstream) in the park and began fishing towards the end of that trail by the maintenance building for Ole Bull State Park. In the very first pool I had two encounters with what looked like stocked rainbows. I could see them chase and what looked like try to attack my streamers but I didn't hook up either time. On the very next riffle and pocket right above there I landed a beautiful little wild brown. I thought I was going to be in for some good fishing considering how my first 10 minutes started out and then...nothing. I worked upstream quite a ways and every nice piece of pocket water that should have held a fish had nothing. I didn't even see any kinds of fish or spook anything. It was as if the stream was lifeless. I did get to observe a very nice buck that obviously did not know I was there. I also got to witness an osprey carry away a nice sized brown down near the park on my walk back.

I can't believe my lack of success here though. My overall impression of Kettle was very "meh." The riffles were all really, really shallow. The pools were wide, shallow, and kind of featureless, and when I found excellent pocket water and actual nice logjam pools with deep water and current and undercut features I found no fish. I'm sure it was just a bad day and this stream has to be famous for a reason but given how low and clear the water was I should have been able to see fish spook from places they should have been. Oh well, I'll go back in the future and explore more as an actual fishing trip.

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve had “meh” days on some of the most famous trout streams in Noth America.

Timing can be everything.

Should have fished below the Children's section. Much better water downstream from there.

DaveS wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I’ve had “meh” days on some of the most famous trout streams in Noth America.

Timing can be everything.

When you have a bad day on a high quality limestone influenced stream with deep and gorgeous water it doesn't make me feel bad because I know that trout are there. When you have a bad day on a famous stream because the water is super low, clear, and you never catch anything because there aren't really any trout there then that is a different story. I'll fish all day if there are fish, I'm pretty sure there were no fish on this part of Kettle. That's a bad day.

joebamboo wrote:
Should have fished below the Children's section. Much better water downstream from there.

I did fish below the Children's section a bit but I was still in the park. I liked the look of the upstream water better myself. Next time I'm in the area I'll explore more.

There were fish there. For some reason you had an off day. In lower water conditions, streamers tend to not work well for me. Kettle at about 100 cfs is a good flow for August, but 200-300 is probably more ideal from a fishing standpoint. I’ve seen it at 6 cfs. Now that is low!

jifigz wrote:
I found about 2 hours of time Monday morning to explore Kettle Creek a bit. I fished from 7-9 am and only caught one wild brown trout about 5 inches long. I walked the trail up on the right side (going upstream) in the park and began fishing towards the end of that trail by the maintenance building for Ole Bull State Park. In the very first pool I had two encounters with what looked like stocked rainbows. I could see them chase and what looked like try to attack my streamers but I didn't hook up either time. On the very next riffle and pocket right above there I landed a beautiful little wild brown. I thought I was going to be in for some good fishing considering how my first 10 minutes started out and then...nothing. I worked upstream quite a ways and every nice piece of pocket water that should have held a fish had nothing. I didn't even see any kinds of fish or spook anything. It was as if the stream was lifeless. I did get to observe a very nice buck that obviously did not know I was there. I also got to witness an osprey carry away a nice sized brown down near the park on my walk back.

I can't believe my lack of success here though. My overall impression of Kettle was very "meh." The riffles were all really, really shallow. The pools were wide, shallow, and kind of featureless, and when I found excellent pocket water and actual nice logjam pools with deep water and current and undercut features I found no fish. I'm sure it was just a bad day and this stream has to be famous for a reason but given how low and clear the water was I should have been able to see fish spook from places they should have been. Oh well, I'll go back in the future and explore more as an actual fishing trip.
I know you only had a few hours and you mentioned fishing wasn’t your primary objective for the trip. So please understand that those constraints gave you no choice but to fish a pretty poor section of Kettle. Couple that with the high temperature report that I provided above and that means a poor section will have even less fish than normal. I fish Kettle 10-11 days per year and never go to Ole Bull.

Unfortunately there was a 20 day stretch that impacted a lot of fish. You will do better next time at some other location in late May or early June.

Back