Floodplain Fracking

salvelinus

salvelinus

http://www.paenvironmentdigest.com/newsletter/default.asp?NewsletterArticleID=14914

Link to pix http://home3.netcarrier.com/~susquehanna/page0002.html

That just looks like somebody went into an office and asked for a permit and got one on the spot.
Truly makes me wonder if anyone qualified ever went and inspected the site first hand. And if they did, should certainly not be getting paid for allowing that. Thats not asking for a disaster, thats begging for it.
Unbelievable.

These concerns and the reactions are very understandable. However, with regard to the photos and the commentary at the original poster's site, it raises these questions:

Are those tanks strictly for water removal?

Are those tanks seeing double duty, sometimes as water withdrawal, sometimes for frac waste? I doubt it, but I don't know tanks.

Surely no one is stupid/crooked enough to haul frac waste container tanks there and park them? I ask that even though I am just as dubious about this business as anyone else.

If the orange containers are the only color tanks being used for frac waste on the one hand, and water removal on the other, it makes it very hard to monitor if illegal waste dumping is happening given all the activity that happens at that site (1 million gallons a day approved for removal). Some who are seeing these photos may think this is a drilling area.

I, perhaps naively, think it is unlikely that frac water is anywhere near that site. It is tempting to presume the worst and wonder if frac water is being dumped under the cover of the high water conditions where the dilution helps hide that. If you presume the best you could wonder if they took advantage of a high water event to draw water, which would be a good thing.

The above is a long way of saying I don't know, but the poster of the photos is to be supported for keeping an eye on things. However, to call for firings without answers to the questions outlined above is another example of people being scared, making worst case assumptions, lashing out first, asking questions later.

Good post though because it shows how hard it is to monitor what is going on and the opportunities for harm if the operators are unscrupulous.

That looks like a storage area to me. Possibly also a site for removing stream water. I think those trailers are for processing frack water on site. I got a chance to look one over at a rest stop on 80. The rear axles don't appear to be rated for full tanks. They are hauled empty and blocked up on site.

Yes I believe I posted hastily on my way to work. That does not appear to be a well at all upon second look.
Glad to be wrong. :)

Franklin nailed it. Also, to be legal weight wise, they'd need to have a tandem axle on the back.

The tankers being used to haul the waste has "Residual Waste" placards on them.

The article states that there are Marcellus well sites being located on floodplains, and gives two examples. Does anyone know if that information is true or false?

Does anyone have the latitude/longitude coordinates for those two sites?

Not sure, but probably they are correct about the floodplain. Zoom in on the first picture, a DEP Well Location Plat. Wyalusing Creek, Stang Well No. 1 shows up clearly, and topo details are there as well.

http://home3.netcarrier.com/~susquehanna/

I agree, that pic with the tanks is definitely some type of staging area. Those types of tanks are only used for storage and can only be transported empty as was stated earlier. They hold about 20,000 gal and can turn into the world's biggest ice cube when it gets colds enough.
Also, anyone who does any type of dirt work knows that the black and yellow 'containment barrier' referenced along with the pics is only a silt trap.
As for drilling near Wyalusing Creek, the closer they drill to their water supply, the less they have to spend on tranport.

Back