Float tubes

Fredrick

Fredrick

Ok i'm thinking about getting a float tube. I am going to use it for pond and lake fishing for Bass and Pike. I already own a pontoon but I don't like the way I get blown around in it when there is some wind its a cheap odc sport. Oh buy the way, I can't get a kayak because i drive a Civic and I don't think it would fit on my roof OR WILL IT ? I have these tubes in mind so what do you guys think ? Honest oppinions appreciated :-D

tube 1

Tube 2

I have seen yaks on civics..why dont you think it would fit...Get one in the 11 ft. range sit on top fishing model..Perception makes a nice one.. I had a belly boat and you can get wind blown and cold legs...plus you can only go backwards with them..

You can definitely get a kayak, or two, on top of a civic. A good friend of mine is an avid kayaker and I've even seen with a sea kayak mounted to the top of his civic. I believe he ha s a Thule roof rack which he uses to transport his kayaks so it definitely can be done.

I have both and I still like my tube for fishing...try yak fishing in 30 degree weather...what if you tip...getting in and out wihout getting wet is tricky...you sit much lower in the tube and yes you go backward but when fly fishing thats a bonus...you can fish while moving...try paddling and casting at the same time...easy in a tube...you can get a decent tube for less than 100 bucks...decent yak..250-300 minimum....if you fish for mostly bass (its Fredrick, right?) your legs won;t get cold at all...especially since you are using them for locomotion...something rises behind you in a tube..you can spin in less than a second, rod in hand and cast immediately...yak, put down rod, grab paddle turn yourself around, pick up rod, cast...most who don;t like float tubes, don;t use them properly...I have a very nice kayak I take on really big water and to the beach...I still love my tubes...I only own the round kind...bucks bags (lived down the street from the factory at one time) (actually it was five older ladies with really big sewing machines)...

also I have tried those U-type boats in the past...the ones you show look nicer than the one I tried but that was a long time ago...mine is more like THIS

See if you can find someone with one and try it first...I have 2 but we live pretty far apart...

Frederick, I have an OCD Sport as well, it took a few outings of being blown off the lake to get a decent anchor, you should have plenty of places to tied on to. I'm tempted to get a float tube as well, just for hike in places. I've had my toon 3 years now and still glad I got it.

I may have gotten my anchor at walmart or Dicks, can't remember, it's probably 6-7 lbs. I store it on the back cargo rack.
Strong wind can still turn me away from my directive but it's made a world of difference,

Don't give up on your toon.

In a float tube you just put the wind at your back and slowly keep paddling with your feet and you stay in place...the wind at your back keep your backcast high and off the water and your forecast moving along.

If you intend to pack on into somewhere, get a lightweight bladder you can inflate by mouth or pump....you don;t want the weight of the actual tube they come with (they are heavy) or to have to try to pump one up after a hike...

Dear Frederick,

I've been float tubing for almost 20 years. I wore out one tube, outgrew another, bought a new one a couple of years ago and just ordered a second one to have as a spare.

Either of those tubes you linked would be good though personally I'd never drop $ 350.00 bucks for one. I started with an original U-tube from Creek Company and really liked it but I wore it out. I replaced it and got the updated version with the urethane bladder instead of rubber but I got too fat for it so I gave it to my man Rolf.

I wound up buying a Waterskeeter Day-Tripper from Sierra Trading Post on close-out a couple of years ago for about $ 100.00 bucks. I love the boat because it floats my big old behind but it still works well with foot power and is pretty manuervable. If you weigh less than 200 pounds it may be too much tube for you because you'd sit awful high and it would be like a sailboat but for a big lug like me it's ideal.

I bought another big-guy tube from Sierra last weekend but I'm still waiting to receive it. This time I bought a Caddis Navigator II for under $ 100.00. Sierra is the bomb!

If you get out this way at all look me up and I'll let you try either of my tubes to see how you like them.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Back