fishing with a guide?

partial quote from dryflyguy,

"Then we watched 2 other fisherman with a guide get skunked just below the dam one day."

So far I have not gone through an entire day without any trout being caught by my clients. Some of those days were very tough, for me though. It is hard to believe but I have had so called experienced fly fishermen who could barely cast far enough to keep their flies out of the oar sweep. I am talking less than 10 feet. In that situation I am essentially casting and mending their line with the boat. At that point, as someone said, who is really fishing?

The vast majority of the guides I know work their butts off for their fishermen. Personally I know what it is like to live in Pa and dream about fishing in Montana. So I think that I relate to my client's overall excitement about being here.

There is one point that was made throughout this post. Sometimes it was right out in the open, other times it was implied. It is the ego thing. The way I look at this is fly fishing is a never ending learning experience. I still read books, use the web, watch casting videos and yes, try to fish with guys who know their river better than me. Wherever you go it is hard to beat local knoweldge. Nobody's ego should be bruised by hiring a good guide to take them down a big western river. I am planning a bonefish trip in the near future, and yes, I will be using a guide. I have done a good amount of saltwater fishing, but never for bones.

Anyway, it is nice to be back on a Pa board. It has been a while. As you all know, Pa has some great fishing. When I do come back to Pa I always bring my rod and go back and fish my old home waters. Spent a few great days on Penns around Christmas. She was fishing as well as I remembered.

DFG

Sorry, yes that was the WB of the Delaware!

Back