fishing very small streams

Fishing for brookies on small streams is the cherry on top of the ice cream , like MKern and others say they are always there and the confidence that they are always there is 2/3 of the battle , the rest is up to you. A drag free drift is no where near as important on these streams as others in fact movement sometimes is the key. Upstream is the way to go but if you find a situation where you can't go the other way "leave no turn unstoned"

I use a 3' furled leader on my 6' 4wt for small stream fishing. Changing out tippet is as simple as tying new tippet onto the ring. It may not be the ideal leader setup for going 'sub-surface', but it makes fishing small stream much more manageable for me. I can't imagine trying to tackle a small stream with a 9'+ leader...

I'll clarify that I'm probably in agreement with others that a 'small stream' really means a small stream (1-12' in width).

I agree that having a shorter leader on smaller stream better. Especially if most of your casts are shorter than 20 ft. It is just easier to roll cast 6ft. of leader with 15 ft. of fly line than it is to cast 15 ft. of leader with 6 ft. of fly line.

I put a 7 1/2ft. 5X tapered leader on my 2 weight and that is it. No tippet.

Once the leader gets down to 5-6 feet long from multiple fly changes, (snagged trees), I tie in a loop at the end of the leader and will add no more than 2-3 feet of 4-6X tippet.

So my leader and tippet is usually no more than 6-8ft. long for smaller streams. I will make it longer if I have a lot of casting room and am using smaller flies and nymphs and longer casts.

I fish small streams a lot and I've gotten pretty good at it. I agree with almost all comments except some of wsender's. I will say I agree with him on hippers. Wet wade or at least waste high. I've gone over hippers way too many times by kneeling or sitting in a stream to get an angle.

- Short leaders.
- 3x or 4x tippet
- big bushy, high floatin dry flies (size 12 or 14 is typical for me). I often use parachute adams but wulffs, humpy's, etc. are common as well. The advantage of a dry is simply distance, you can effectively fish it farther away, and that distance is more important than type of fly under most circumstances. By not snagging up on submerged vegetation, you also spend more time fishing and less snagged. That said, in especially deep pools, or cold water, etc., feel free to tie on a dropper.
- Stay low if possible.
- Distance is your friend, cast from as far away as possible. The challenge is casting in tight places, it requires that you get pretty good.
- Move fast, cover water. No hit on the first 2 casts in a pool? Move on. There is a fish there, but you've spooked him, and there's another just upstream. I can cover miles of water in a day, I fish only a little slower than I walk.
- Practice the bow and arrow cast at home. Sometimes I use it as my final, intend to catch a fish cast. But more often, I find the hardest part is gettin some line out, so I'll use it to get the line in front of me, then strip out more and roll cast.
- I prefer stout, short powerful rods. I like a 7 foot 5 weight, if you can find it. Overlining a rod is a very good trick if it will only be used for small streams where casting is short, I use a 6 wt line on a 4/5 wt rod personally. You need that rod to load with only a small amount of fly line out. The power in a rod is for throwing tight loops under obstructions, for which there are many.
- Go get em! They're there. I've topped 80 fish in a day before.

I agree with pcray's ideas, and I'll add one more thing. You are more likely to miss a cast and have your fly hit rocks, or land on them, when you fish a very small stream. After this happens, take a look at the fly to make sure you didn't break the hook off at the bend. I do this all the time, and it is hard to catch fish that way! :)

Man, I might change my ways! I'm a self proclaimed noob, so I'll take a step back and furl a 4 foot leaders!

I find that fish aren't as picky on the smaller streams, so there is less pressure on me to "match a hatch." I carry a few generic flys (buggers, gold ribbed hare's ears, adams, etc) and just toss them out. I tend to tie my flies a little bushy, and the fish seem to appreciate the fat morsel floating by.

And if your just starting on small streams, bring a lot of flies and tippet. I know in my case I was feeding the trees more than the fish when I started.

Back