Fishing alone

l allongbowman58 wrote:
This past week I fished Woodcock and Oil Creek. Since the end of April I've seen a grand total of one other person fishing while I've been out. Saturday morning was perfect and I fished Oil Creek right off the Mystic Park road and landed some beautiful trout and only had water and birds to listen to and see. I guess I'm glad in one sense but sad in another that there doesn't seem to be the interest from our next generation and where will that leave our fising future?

It starts simply with flipping rocks in a creek. The more adults mess with the simple connections the more our youth will miss the mark. Just take your children fishing. We under estimate our children who grow into adults. They value the time you spend with them even if you don't catch fish. When all else fails flip rocks. Make Crayfish Condos.

This has been very interesting. I took my son fishing from a very early age and then got him into bow shooting way before he could hunt. Now, at age 34, he's an accomplished survivalist, trtaditional bowhunter making stone heads and taking game with them and a flyfisherman.

I'm still amazed how fast the streams clear out but I enjoy the sound of the water and peace it gives me with no wordly structure pressing on me.

I've been involved in sports my whole life and it's easy to see that what I took for granted as being the "thing to do" isn't even on the plate of most people now. My 4 yr. old grandaughter caught 6 bluegill the other night had the time of her life doing it. She shoots her longbow amazingly well and can walk through the woods and pick out edible plants that most people would never know existed. I guess I have been blessed.

Back