First Time for Steelhead this Fall

A bead is a bead and isn't attached directly to the hook. The "Alaska rig" is the bead on the leader about 2-3" away from the hook. This also a point of contention, as some believe it will be condusive to foul hooking...the bead believers apparently disagree and claim it causes less gut hooks than glo bugs.

I have NEVER gut hooked a fish with a glo bug. I don't think I've ever seen one either.

The trick to these fish is that there is none. Bring lots of flies in many different types. 3-4 different styles of eggs in about 10 colors each. Nymphs, streamers etc in many different colors. They'll turn off one pattern and onto the next pretty often. Don't be afraid to change.

One good piece of advise is to fish the faster water. The fish are active there and have a better possibility of taking a fly.

Bring lots of weight, and learn to fight a fish. Hooking one is great, but actually landing it is another story. A fish running on you needs to have "side pressure" put on it. Turn your rod parallel to the water to either of your sides to attempt to turn it's head. It's a game of learning through experience, but no one is perfect and many fish are lost after hooked.

Most of all.... HAVE FUN!

Ryan

Read up on these:
Great Lakes Tributaries Regulations
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31420.html

So, I went to SR a few years ago for my first Steel Head trip. I used an old Cortland 7wt and the guys I went with all used fly rods with running line and the slinkies and various flies/egg patterns.
I did catch my first steel using this set up, but not a fan of the chuck and duck to get the fly down on the bottom. I won't expand on how much I hate the crowd, as that will most likely be agreed to by most.
On SR, is it possible to use a thingamabobber and still get the fly deep enough? The water is often pretty deep and moving. The crowd often makes it tough to cast far up to let the fly sink and too much weight makes it hard for me to cast. I saw an earlier post about using the bobber and was wondering how those that use it actually do it...technique?
I was asked to go again in Nov, but not sure I want to chuck and duck a running line, unless that is the best tecknique. Any thoughts or opinions are certainle welcome.
Very good thread to read through by the way, thanks.

By bead, they mean little plastic beads like you'd see on a homemade necklace. Ranging from pearl size to smaller. They come in various colors and are used as egg imitations. Can buy your flies at Michaels, lol.

People tend to make their glo-bugs too big. Real eggs are small. They also probably sink better than soft materials like glo-bug yarn. IMO that's probably part of their secret.

Yeah, the Alaska rig is having the bead a few inches up the line, then a bare hook trailing. The theory is that the fish bites the bead, then when you set, you pull the hook through it's mouth, either hooking the outside or inside corner of the mouth. You can use bigger hooks with small beads that way, as well as things like circle hooks, and you tend to hook up in the corners of the mouth where there's less danger of him throwing the hook during the fight or rubbing his teeth on the line.

The criticism is that it's a way to snag fish. If fish moves out of the way of the imitation, he may move into the hook. Also, some argue that, even if the fish hit the bead, if the hook enters the outside of the mouth it is foul hooked and therefore unsporting.

Now call me crazy but if you wanted to be crafty, why not use a jelly egg, a few wraps of lead wire, and make a blood spot egg? Ya know giving the egg a nucleus? Not a lot of weight but would get it to the bottom faster and keep it there a bit better...

Last year I made a few hot glue eggs. Just put a small red bead on a hook and covered it in hot glue. Caught a few steelies on it.

Just make sure your hook gap is big enough. Had a few I couldn't use because the glue filled in most of the gap.

Back