Final Utah fly fishing trip

Six-Gun

Six-Gun

...well for the time being, anyway.

My friend Pete is brand new to fly fishing and wanted to join me in Utah for my final trip out there before I move to Ohio in a few weeks. I came up with a game plan to show his as many incredible places and great fishing spots as we could feasibly cover over 4 days. We camped our way across the south central portion of the state and found some amazing waters along the way.

The trip started out at Leeds Creek, a tiny, brush-choked stream that exclusively feature wild, native Bonneville cutthroat trout. Pete hooked into a good number in this smallwater gem.

DSCN1116_zpseb385172.jpg

DSCN1122_zps0c442452.jpg

After just an hour or so here, we ran up to Panguitch Creek, a medium sized creek that features a great population of feisty browns. The late morning catch was excellent, as the browns were biting well of both dries and nymphs.

DSCN1146_zpsdc23cf94.jpg

DSCN1150_zps7fb304f6.jpg

The next day, we decided to switch things up. I have become very friendly with a fly shop owner in Circleville, Utah who has always given me excellent fishing advice (Emmett from Circle Valley Anglers) for free for a good while now. I decided to pay him back the favor by paying for a trip with one of his guides. He gave us an extremely reasonable rate for a half day with a gentleman named Lenny who had access to a private ranch on one of the best stretches of the Beaver River. It was money well-spent and the experience did not disappoint! Lenny's honey holes were spot on. I hooked and lost numerous fish in the 21" - 23" range and landed several nearly that big. Pete did the same, hooking into several fat, powerful fish in extremely low-pressure water that were willing to take #18 red copper johns like crazy.

DSCN1180_zps978ced0d.jpg

DSCN1178_zpsbefc0028.jpg

On the way to set for the next day's action, we stopped at another tiny creek called Carcass Creek. The purpose was to give Pete a chance to catch a few brookies before calling it a night. Once again, he was up to the task. Before dark, he managed to land a couple of fish.

DSCN1210_zps10db669e.jpg

The next morning was Stillwater time. Another very helpful guide and fly shop owner in a different area (Mike from Quiet Fly Fisher in Loa, UT) pointed us to the Lower Bowns Reservoir for some intense rainbow action. Full sinking line and black wooly buggers were the perfect poison for these fish. The action was steady - sometimes downright intense - all day long.

DSCN1257_zps8cab4908.jpg

DSCN1264_zps2be165b7.jpg

DSCN1265_zps28015dd7.jpg

That afternoon, we switched up to the Fremont River, another great brown trout fishery. More hungry fish kept us entertained right up until dark.

DSCN1276_zps871d2225.jpg

The last day was some of the best Stillwater fishing I've ever done and Pete got to enjoy it right along with me. It took a 1.5 hour drive up into 4-wheel-drive-required territory to reach the Thousand Lakes Mountain fishing spot we were after, but it turned into a 40+ fish day. I can't tell you how many cutthroats and tiger trout we pulled out of the tiny lake we hit, but the highlight of the day was the 21.5" splake that hit my 8-weight rod like a freight train. He got his revenge by giving me a good tail smack right in the face!

IMG_2148_zps9147bbcc.jpg

IMG_2203_zps209fc7cb.jpg

IMG_2180_zpsdff0725e.jpg

IMG_2181_zpsd40ccd31.jpg

If the report doesn't covey it well enough, let me say outright that the trip was amazing. The country was incredible and Pete said it was one of the best fishing experiences he's ever had. The view on the way out was beautiful and painful at the same time, but both of us know we'll make it a point to return.

IMG_2235_zps65e912a5.jpg

IMG_2239_zps334315b0.jpg

Pretty awesome, dude. I'm jealous.

Awesome pics, scenery and fish! I'd cry if I had to move from there to ohio!!

Wow..Great post and fish!!!!! I agree with bikerfish...... have fun in Ohio :-(

Great story and fish. Great shot with the fish slap. Looks like you guys had the best time. Nothing better than great fishing with a good friend.

GenCon

Thanks, guys. It was a bittersweet trip, for sure. It was hands-down the best trip I have ever had out there. Over just 4 days, we caught 8 different trout species: rainbow, brown, brook, Bonneville cutthroat, Yellowstone cutthroat, splake, tiger, and cutbow. But, I know it will be the last time I can simply hop in my truck and go fish out in that amazing Utah backcountry. Saw tons of new scenery, loads of deer and even a few elk among other wildlife.

Best of all, I absolutely, positively got a rookie fly fisherman into the fold. Pete is completely hooked after this trip and will be using the float tube and 9' Cabela's RLS+ 6-weight fly rod/reel combo that he bought (on sale for just $150) for this trip to go after bass/crappie/bluegill once he gets back to Nebraska. We already have plans to go for trout again next year. If I get time later on, I'll post a link to a video of Pete pulling in a nice, fat rainbow on the Beaver River guided trip we did. He did an excellent job of saving the fish from tangling itself when it leaped right under and into a low hanging tree. As you can imagine, there is some adult language in the clip when that happens, but I think most folks would enjoy it regardless.

On that note, he really loves that rod/reel outfit for the $150 sale price he got it for, but he's not too thrilled with the line it comes with, so he will be upgrading it.

On my end, this was the first time I got to use my 9' Orvis Helios 2 in 5-weight and it was spectacular on all fronts. I bought this rod brand new just before the trip at a price I couldn't refuse and couldn't be happier with how versatille it is. This was also the first time I really seriously used my 8-weight Orvis Access with the Hydros 3D Depth Charge 300-grain full-sinking line. The line, in particular, was the difference when it came to landing those deep-swimming splake and the rod handled the 21.5" fish with ease (and the 19" one that I pulled in shortly after that).

Great story, pics, and report; thanks for sharing....
John

Thanks again, guys. It's my pleasure to share.

Below is a link to the clip of Pete pulling in his first Beaver River rainbow on fly tackle. Again, I use a bit of course language, so viewer beware, but it's a pretty cool clip nonetheless.

http://youtu.be/T-3T9Nb9s7k

Sweet video!

Thanks, Brownie! It was so much fun watching him save that fish from what should have been a sure break-off when it hit those branches. The thing literally tumbled into them and back down into the water, somehow not getting snagged in the process.

Six, what a great outing!! Well done. I love, just the tail slap. Outstanding to capture that moment. What great memories you guys have from that. Congratulations for putting it together and making it happen.

lv2nymph wrote:
Six, what a great outing!! Well done. I love, just the tail slap. Outstanding to capture that moment. What great memories you guys have from that. Congratulations for putting it together and making it happen.

Thx, lv2nymph - it was an unreal trip and completely worth the effort. The fact that Pete was up for all of it made for easy planning and execution.

On this trip, it seemed that the more effort we put in, the better the fishing was. That last spot not only took a 1.5 hour drive to reach the closest place to park my truck, but it also required us to hike in with our float tubes for a half mile up mixed mountain terrain. We almost decided to do something else that day because of the tough hike in with all of our gear and bad winds early in the morning, but decided to tough it out for the hopes of a great day of fishing. That decision proved to be worth every bit of our time. Next time out, we're probably going to go up to even higher elevation and try some of the other fishable lakes in this complex.

Six-gun what a fabulous post!!
I felt as if I was along side you guys as you described the trip.

I had a similar exeperience 15 years ago.Took a non fly fishing hunting friend on a 10 day trip through Colorado.Teaching him and showing him some of the spots I fished ovr the years.He become a fly fishing addict,as a result of that trip,but has recently suffred a severe stroke.
BTW:I never fished Utah and plan to do so in 2015.Still trying to find someone to go with me,so I don't have to do the trip solo.
Good luck in Ohio
Tom

AFISHN wrote:
Six-gun what a fabulous post!!
I felt as if I was along side you guys as you described the trip.

I had a similar exeperience 15 years ago.Took a non fly fishing hunting friend on a 10 day trip through Colorado.Teaching him and showing him some of the spots I fished ovr the years.He become a fly fishing addict,as a result of that trip,but has recently suffred a severe stroke.
BTW:I never fished Utah and plan to do so in 2015.Still trying to find someone to go with me,so I don't have to do the trip solo.
Good luck in Ohio
Tom

AFISHN -

Thnak you very much. Let me know your rough timeframe in 2015 via PM. I'm way far out to decide when and where I will go for 2015 (Pete also discussed going for peacock bass with fly tackle in 2015 after he moves to Florida later this year), as I am starting a new Air Force job when I move back to Ohio, but if we decide to do Utah again, I'd be happy to help you figure things out even if I can't make it myself. It's a downright excellent fly fishing state, particularly if you already know the best stretches of river to hit.

Looks like a great time six gun

Looks like a great time six gun

Indeed it was, Cody. When the backdrop of some of these rivers is headwater tributaries like this, even when the bite gets slow, you're sure to have no regrets.

IMG_2138_zpscd05615e.jpg

Here are a few more shots from more of the various fish we caught at Floating Island Lake.

One of the countless Yellowstone cutthroats that I netted :
IMG_1798_zps06a731b9.jpg

Pete netting a very nice tiger trout:
IMG_2158_zps08764824.jpg

IMG_2163_zpsd490466f.jpg

The scarred lip on the large splake that I caught, presumably from numerous hookings that he escaped:
IMG_2197_zps73e63934.jpg

Back