FF Through The Mid Life Crisis

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

I have 2 hardback copies of this marvelous book by Howell Raines. As the book liner states it "is part sporting autobiography and part guidebook to life's middle passage". I first read it when I was 40 something and truly related. It's a story of a self professed "red neck fisherman" who previously just "hooked them between the eyes" and then left the fish to flop to death on the stream bank and then converted to FF. I will be happy to share my copies with the members and would ask that you write comments into the book as to what you thought or learned from the book. Sen me a PM with your address and I will send the book along. If you prefer to own the book here is the Amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Through-Midlife-Crisis/dp/0385475195

I have to say not only is that kind of you to share your copy with others. But to ask them to write a little personal summary with a signature what a neat idea.

A generous and neat idea.

I agree...neat idea. I, unfortunately...or fortunately...already have a copy.

One of my favorite parts of the books was the picture collage his wife did for him. Why coudn't I have found a wife who understood that fly fishing was more fun than going out to dinner?

I listened to the audio version of this book. What a treat to hear the author in his slight southern drawl. He's says Rappadan with such elegance!

I'll take note of this book for 20 years from now ... If I make it ! :)

Ha I turned 40 on this trip- I think I am fishing through my mid-life crisis. (but because I am diabetic I would say 2/3rds life crisis)- which is why I went to MT- Life is too short!

Nice book!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Turning 60 next March means I am no longer "mid life." I am now looking for a book on how not to forget where your car is parked after a long day of fishing. I might write a book called "Fly Fishing and the Senile Male."

At the moment, I can think of only three FF books, of the hundreds I have read, which I was unable to finish. "FF Through the ML Crisis" is at the top of the list. It could have been subtitled: "... or How Far a Southern Liberal will go to Impress his Manhatten Friends." I couldn't get past the first chapter. I thought to myself as I read it, "surely he will soon run out of relatives, old friends, and aquaintences he is willing to throw under the bus." Yet, with each page we discover even more dimwits and miscreants in his gene pool. Good thing our lucky author was fortunate enough to escape Dogpatch for the refinement and sanity of New York, where he was able to make his living manufacturing the news.

It has been 20 years since I tried to read "The River Why" and I am not certain why it did not appeal to me. I believe it was a work of fiction, which would explain my disinterest.

The third was a book by an author named Lennox Dick. I cannnot recall the title.

I purchased a book from a used book seller once originally titled "Fly Fishing" by Turhan Tirana. I made it to the second chapter, where Mr. Tirana informs the reader that he "recalled no difficulties in mastering the handling of the rod or line". I don't want to read a book by a fly fisherman that picked up a fly rod and had it come alive in his hands with immediate grace and precision. I want ot read books by mortals like me, that had incredible knots that were so frustrating they clipped the leader and went home, when they first started.

Back