Fenwick FF706

O

outsider

I picked up a Fenwick FF706 today for $60. I thought this was a pretty decent price. I didn't cast it yet, but I plan to use a 5 weight line on it. Have to see how it feels. Anyone use this rod? What line weight do you use?

What's the line weight marking on it? If its a 5/6, go with 6. I don't have that particular model, but on my Fen, I always go w/ the heavier line.

I've got a FF756 - 7 1/2' long, 6 weight line. If they use the same naming convention, a FF706 would be 7' long for a 6 weight line. It may not cast the farthest but it has a great feel to it. My theory is that because the butt of a fiberglass rod is bigger then a graphite rod, it transmits the feel of the rod (and fish!) better.

FWIW, I put a 5 weight on my Fenwick by mistake once and it cast like crap.

Yes, the line designation is a 6 weight. I'll find out tomorrow when I lawn cast it. Just wanted to get some feedback regarding other's experience with this rod, or other Fenwick fiberglass rods in general. Thanks for the input, haven't casted a Fenwick fiberglass rod since owning 2 in the late 60's, early 70's. I do regret selling them, especially my FF605.

The FF706 was my first glass rod way back in 1973 or 1974. I tried DT5, buy the rod cast a DT6 much better. Feel bad that I've not fished it since the late 70s. I need to get it back on the water this year.

I paid $60 for my 7'8" Fenwick back in 1985. It was marked for a 5/6 wt but I have always fished it with a 5wt DT. When I had saved up enough money to but it, I thought I had arrived, so to speak.

After letting it sit for quite a few years, I fish mine at least a couple times a year now. I think you are going to like your rod.

Nice find,

Shock

I got an FF 706 from my girlfriends dad. The rod is in perfect condition for being 30+ years old. I haven't cast it yet but I feels great. I have no idea what situation I would use this rod in, any suggestions?

What's the length?

My Fenwick FF75 is my go-to rod 90% of the time. Got it paired up with an old Martin 61 reel. For PA, I've never had to cast further than that rod can handle. The only time I don't use it is on small mountain streams (I use a 6'6" rod on those streams) and for warm water stuff.

7' 6WT

Okay, its a little shorter than mine (mine is a 7'6"). Small to medium size trout streams, its a great rod. I throw everything on mine. Streamers, nymphs, dries, whatever. I just love the rod!

I did cast the rod yesterday. Definitely a 6 weight rod. I'll use this for smaller streams when I want a multi-purpose rod to fish anything from streamers and weighted nymphs to dry flies up to a size 18. In the spring I fish nymphs and streamers in the morning and the Hendrickson & Blue Quill hatches in the afterenoon. This rod can pull double duty.

Wait til you get a fish on it - it'll be great! I have a 7 1/2' 6 wt I built from a kit from cabelas in 1976. It's 2 inches shorter now but still fishes a 6 wt line welll and a10" fish can give you a good battle on it. They can also handle big fish too - I recall using it to bring in a 21" brown at the paradise and it did quite a good job!

Where I think my Fenwick excels is when you don't have enough room for a back cast and must either roll cast or use a snap-t cast. Mine loads really well with just a little line out.

When I was younger, I did not think the rod could cast very far but when I dusted it off a few years ago, I found that it would lay out line almost effortlessly to any reasonable distance.

The difference is that in the interveining years, I had actually learned to cast and that put a smile on my face.

Shock

Seems like a nice rod to me outsider was laying some nice casts now I need some glass or bamboo.

I was really pleased fishing the rod today, to say the least. And I caught about 8 wild browns to boot.

Keppenbill, nice to meet you on the stream today.

My FF605 Fenwick was the very first fly rod I bought, MANY years ago and it is always with me regardless of where I might be fishing.. Small or medium streams, warm water ponds or lakes matter not for it has served me well in all those waters for decades.. Just might someday post photos of some of the species that have fallen to my Fenwick buddy over the years...

FAS

Back