Favorite small stream flies

Royal Wulff
Royal Wulff
Royal Wulff

Chaz wrote:
Royal Wulff
Royal Wulff
Royal Wulff

The ones I have in my box are so old ( about 35 years old ) I'm afraid they might break when I set the hook. Thanks for reminding me, I'll tie some tomarrow.

A sz. 14 yellow whatever dry; usually elk hair caddis. So many bugs are yellow in may & june.

For fishing downstream, a partridge and Orange or Partridge and yellow

Sz. 16 black foam ant. Sz. 10-12 black beetle

Underwater: a sz. 10 3XL ultrachenille inchworm.

But when I go onto a small stream, I usually tie on the yellow caddis and don't use anything else. Prolly' 90% of the time. If the water is up and they don't want to come to the surface, the wet fly or the inchworm is my go-to. Really hard to nymph the inchworm well when the water is clear. Deep holes are nice for the inchworm. If you don't spook 'em, wild fish cannot resist.
I just added the ant and the beetle because I know they'll work great. I just don't use them. I DO like to SLAP down a terrestrial in a brookie crik every so often but it's not what's tied onto my line most often.
I've been told by some real experts that fishing any big bushy dry on a wild trout/brookie stream when it is high & off color from a rainfall is really good. I don't have that much experience with that technique.

Syl

Size 10-14 marabou muddler with a little weight tied in. Olive, brown and white with fire red ultra thread. I loves me them strikes in a 2 or three foot hole where they just materialize and suck down the fly, or disappear completely if you miss the take. I always think of the movie predator when you can see the bottom, then all of a sudden there's a fish in the middle of the hole, then he's gone again.

Boyer

Any big bushy dryfly. Don't see how one is more effective than another since brookies are not really selective at all. This is really the easiest fly fishing there is- sans Slate Run or limestone brookie streams.

Buggers are effective no question; however, to me nowhere near as fun as slinging dries.

Really don't go brookie fishing to fish buggers. When I think brookie fishing, it is a lonely peice of water, in a scenic mountain setting, in the middle of summer or really early season when many waters are high and or closed.

dasofas wrote:
+1 for Royal Wullf size 14. Have a new tie (new to me at least) that has the abdomen band in a bright green rather than the traditional red.

I believe they refer to that one as either the "Lime Wulff" or the "Tennessee Wulff".

sniperfreak223 wrote:
dasofas wrote:
+1 for Royal Wullf size 14. Have a new tie (new to me at least) that has the abdomen band in a bright green rather than the traditional red.

I believe they refer to that one as either the "Lime Wulff" or the "Tennessee Wulff".

There is a lime trude, it has a white hair wing over the back behind the hackle (never tied one). I always liked the Royal Wolf and Grizzly Wolf but I kind of went to the parachute flies, But I like the way the Wolf flies sit up in the riffles.

Back