Favorite Midge

Hey man, I can use midges. I just didnt mention the size 28 royal humpies I use because I thought you all would just assume that that is a given. :O)
Hey has anyone fished with waterwhisps? I was in Barnes and NOble the other day and the book I looked at had directions to tie them in there. What is their overall effectiveness? anyone know? anyone care? can you tie a royal humpy like that?

Hares Ear Sz 18 tied real "buggy"

My favorite is the one I am taking off to put on a nice sized mayfly.

Check that out Bighumpy9! I never used them before. They definitely look good. Saw a bunch of them at the flyfishing show east this year.

http://www.waterwisp.com/

What is your favorite presentation for midges?

Dead drifted...swinging it, whatever the fish want. I have had days where I nailed them dead drifting them and the other days swinging them.

Favorite presentation> drifting dry with maybe a visible parachute
Most effective> drifting an emerger at the bottom and then when im in the strike zone slowly lifting the rod tip to mimic the emergers path. Its KILLER!!! but only if you know where the fish are. if not you end up foul hooking some and spooking the rest.

Im also trying a new floatant that I like. Does anyone use frog fanny? I have heard its the only thing you should use on CDC because of the excess of oils already in the fibers. What do you venerable fishermen think?

I use a griffiths gnat for alot of midge hatches and do very well on top. I prefer a zebra or tiger midge for below, and sometimes substitute a small ball of foam on top instead of a bead to get more of a emerger depth.

now referencing the size 32 hook... I recently read "Lee Wulff the Compleate" and I do believe in one of the chapters he challenged himself to catch an Atlantic Salmon on a size 32 hook. He said the story always started where he would host a fly fishing camp for kids and would tie a fly around a size 10 and then a size 32 (all without the use of a vise, he literally tied all flies by hand) and the question always came up; how big of a fish can you catch with a size 32 hook? So Lee being Lee tried it on an Atlantic Salmon. The story goes on but he eventually successfully catches an Atlantic Salmon on a size 32. If anyone can do it, Lee can.

Great book, I do recomend it!

BigHUMPY9 - I can comment on Frog's fanny. I've been using it for a few years and it works very well on CDC. I generally dry the fly on a piece of chamois if it's wet then apply the frog's fanny. Don't throw away the bottle when it's empty. If you like the way it works you can then purchase larger bulk quantities of frog's fanny (Hydrophobic Fumed Silica) on eBay. It's much cheaper in the long run. I also use it on non-CDC flies and it seems to work well enough for most purposes.

As for midge patterns - I use Al's Rat or Zebra midges in sizes 20 - 26. On top I'll start with the Griffith's knat.

acristickid wrote:
My favorite is the one I am taking off to put on a nice sized mayfly.

What??????????????

Thanks Gzacckey. I will have to check that out.
and Im with Prince fish fooler on this one Acristickid. what do you fish in the winter time? I love the big nasty dry as much as the next guy but in the waning days of January I have to defer to tiny sub surface nymphs or itty bitty diptera.

No midges. That said, I'll use my Big Spring Baetis to catch trout when midges are on and the trout will take nothing else.

BigHUMPY9 wrote:
Thanks Gzacckey. I will have to check that out.
and Im with Prince fish fooler on this one Acristickid. what do you fish in the winter time? I love the big nasty dry as much as the next guy but in the waning days of January I have to defer to tiny sub surface nymphs or itty bitty diptera.

A lot of guys don't fish January or February. They wait for the fish to be stocked or the hatches to get underway. This is why you and I can go fish Pickering in January and have a mile stretch all to ourselves catching 5-10 fish on size 28 flies while the others are home in their transformer pajamas eating trix cereal and drinking hot cocoa watching Rachael Ray or The View!!!!!!

Just and Niner- I was more kidding around with my answer. While, I will say midges are not my favorite fly I still use them if that is what they are taking. I have no qualms at fishing any flies nor would I care what anybody else uses. Same goes for methods of fly fishing. Agree with you guys about being the standard dry fly for winter months for sure.

Sometimes fishing with buddies I try to offer advice "Hey, you should try x fly, I have seen several naturals and caught a couple just upstream from you." Then they proceed to catch a nice trout on a bugger right in front of me and I shut up and go back to my spot.

That was a little rough just fish. I happen to enjoy my transformer pajamas, trix cerial, and hot cocoa. besides if im lucky I can catch some old school cartoons on cable. If they made voltron fly rods I would have two.

I will clarify and say that my favorite fly is the one working! Whether it is a nymph, a dry or a midge. Last time I checked it was about catching fish. The midge, however is in every body of water and trout are constantly eating them. I have two extremely effective midge patterns that I will be willing to go to any stream anywhere and catch fish.

Back