Faulty Pink Buttons

I find this snobbishness about buttons to be tiresome.

Don't want a button? Don't buy one.

Me, I enjoy collecting buttons from the states where I fish.

I know guys that spend money on lottery tickets, pull tabs in bars and who bet on football games. I don't do that kind of stuff, it holds no allure for me.

But I don't snarkingly run down those who make the choice to participate in those activities.

Live & let live, you'll enjoy life more...

Anyone who goes by the name of Uncle Shorty can wear any color button he wants.

A few years ago (just after they introduced the online license sales, but I was still buying at the store) I managed to have my license ripped off my hat, then creel...twice...all before the opening day of trout in one year. Ended up spending half as much as my license originally cost me in replacements.

After that, I switched to keeping my license in my wallet (and now buying online) and not displaying anything.

The few times I've been stopped by a WCO, there's never been any issue with them as I dug out my wallet to show my license.

Finally, I asked one specifically about that, and he basically said that the way the "fishing without a license" violation works is that if you really ARE licensed, but for whatever reason don't have it WITH you (random opportunity to fish, it got pulled off your hat in the brush, etc.), you have X amount of days to prove that you are licensed and to get the citation dropped.

Basically, the display requirement is just a convenience for them when they're checking, and you so that you don't have to be bothered by getting stopped...and if you can quickly prove you have it on your person (and aren't doing anything illegal or giving attitude), you shouldn't have any problem just keeping it in a safe place.

I suppose a really snarky WCO might still cite you for non-compliance with the display requirement, but at that point, I think I'd fight it, and say that it kept getting pulled off of my hat, so I put it in a safe place so I didn't lose it.

There are tons of problems with the whole license button program, which I discussed at length with the Commission although I am a fan and buy more than one for different hats so I don’t forget my license.

First - Pink?? The color choice is a popularity contest open to the world and should have been limited to the folks who bought a button the first time around. Pink, jeez!!

Second - They fall off if not secured properly although that is easily remedied.

Third - If you want to buy more than one online, each button has to be purchased SEPARATELY as a completely separate transaction meaning entering your name, address, CID#, credit card info, etc., each time for each button. A royal PIA if you want a bunch.

Fourth - Even though you can PURCHASE a button at a licensing issuing agent, they have to be ordered IN ADVANCE of pick-up so the custom printing can be done. In other words, you will be making two trips to a licensing agent if you don't order online.

Fifth - Since each button is high quality (except for the pin) and has to be custom printed with your CID #; they cost the Fish Commission as much as they do you, $5.00. Seriously, I’m not kidding. They don’t make any money on them which begs the question, why bother?

I did suggest a cheaper solution which was that they NOT custom print each button with the CID # but instead, you are able to purchase a button (at any place you buy a license) with no CID along with a custom CID sticker (printed with your license) which is applied to the button. However, law enforcement supposedly had an issue with forgery. Really, when you can always back it up with your paper license? Not to mention that is same system used with your motor vehicle registration, a sticker is applied to the license plate…

...oh well. :-?

Sixth - While the button meets the display requirement, you still need to carry your paper license.

Seventh - Having the button displayed makes it easy for the WCO hiding in the bushes to know if you have a valid license however he still has to walk up and ask you if you have a trout stamp or Lake Erie Permit, which is stupid.

To be honest, to make their job easier on opening day when trout fishing you should wear the button AND display your license with a trout stamp, which is moronic. Why not just make a different color button for a trout stamp, Lake Erie, or combination of the two.

That way they could leave the regular license as the only PINK button one out there. ;-)

UncleShorty wrote:
I find this snobbishness about buttons to be tiresome.

Don't want a button? Don't buy one.

Me, I enjoy collecting buttons from the states where I fish.

I know guys that spend money on lottery tickets, pull tabs in bars and who bet on football games. I don't do that kind of stuff, it holds no allure for me.

But I don't snarkingly run down those who make the choice to participate in those activities.

Live & let live, you'll enjoy life more...

I love it!

Welcome to the board shorty.

I can definitely see the collect-ability. I very often see old licenses and buttons in antique stores. Besides, it is a nice fund raiser. I may even buy one for that reason, but I won't wear it.;-)

I don't try to be a smartass, it just comes natural.;-)

How many states you got so far?

Bamboozle wrote:

Seventh - Having the button displayed makes it easy for the WCO hiding in the bushes to know if you have a valid license however he still has to walk up and ask you if you have a trout stamp or Lake Erie Permit, which is stupid.

To be honest, to make their job easier on opening day when trout fishing you should wear the button AND display your license with a trout stamp, which is moronic. Why not just make a different color button for a trout stamp, Lake Erie, or combination of the two.

That way they could leave the regular license as the only PINK button one out there. ;-)

Wait, wouldn't it make sense to have the combo license with trout and salmon to be the pink one?

OK salmon colored.;-)

There comes a time in each man's life where something pink (salmon colored) will not have any effect on his machoism. It is then that he shall realize that alot of great things are pink. And it is then that he will realized that he came out of something pink.

Of course if next year's license is button is brown...

...I ain't going there.

me neither!!

PennypackFlyer wrote:
There comes a time in each man's life where something pink (salmon colored) will not have any effect on his machoism. It is then that he shall realize that alot of great things are pink. And it is then that he will realized that he came out of something pink.
A couple years ago I was out playing golf and I let a group play through. A guy noticed the pink towel on my bag and in an offhanded, jokingly manner questioned it.

I told him my mother has breast cancer.

And it is then that he will realized that he came out of something pink.

And spends the rest of his life trying to get back in.....

Back