Fan Wing Adams

There is a lot of interesting history here Tups, and you are right about the cast of characters. Cross actually claimed to have learned from Gordon, who was notorious for refusing to teach anyone (with Steenrod being a notable exception). Cross wasn't close to anyone by his own choosing. There are some great stories about him and his colorful character.
It is amazing to me, living at a time when folks are so willing to share knowledge, just how secretive some of these guys were. But I guess they were protecting their livelihood. If any one is interested, I'll be bringing a few books on the history of the Catskill school, including Rube Cross's book, to the Fly Tying Jam on Dec 15th (shameless plug for an event where everyone is willing to share).
Mike.

Speaking of FWRC, i've been working on those too.

anybody wanna see? There is one 'variant' i tied that purists might not like....

Definitely!

eunanhendron wrote:
Speaking of FWRC, i've been working on those too.

anybody wanna see? There is one 'variant' i tied that purists might not like....

historical footnote, the adams originally featured a golden tippet tail, and should use both coachman and grizzly hackle for the, err, hackle.

but anyways, mostly the GP tippet is the point of this.

My whole life is a variant, I just like bugs that look like bugs, even more so with dries. You're more apt to see a refusal on a dry if the proportions and silhouette stray too far from the norm.

Mike: From what I have read, although Herman Christian was likely closer to Gordon than any other person during Gordon's last years, whenever Christian would visit, Gordon would put away his materials. But Christian was a clever old yankee mountain man who disassembled Gordon's flies and learned the secrets the hard way. Cross did the same. In his later years, Gordon was a consumptive recluse who was mostly estranged from his family and friends. Cross' claim that Gordon instructed him in tying flies is without basis according to those alive at the time and privy to such things. I believe Steenrod was Gordon's mailman during the last years of Gordon's life and he took a liking to the unassuming younger man. Perhaps Gordon, who realized he was dying, decided that his tying secrets should be passed on but preferred not to share with a competitor like Christian or Cross.

Back