Fall Patterns

Yeah, Ive seen bass grab fast moving flies by the tail but they almost always let go then immediately roll over and smash the fly's head. I dont know if they do this to stun or slow the prey or something, or its just a bad grab on their part, but I've seen them hit the same fly 3 or 4 times in the same retrieve before they finally get the head, and typically when they do, its violent.

I use stinger hooks in most of my large streamers for trout (keep in mind, you can't use these in FFO waters due to hook restrictions).

In my experience, large trout and other toothy critters often make it a habit to seize prey crosswise or from the rear. They do this because they can and their teeth allow them to hold smaller fish. In my large trout streamers, the stinger hook often gets more fish than the front hook due to the tendency among trout to swipe or short strike the fly. Bass, on the other hand, don't have the mouth or tooth structure to seize large fish crossways and are much more likely to inhale the fly front first. This is why a single, front mounted hook does so well with bass when used in a streamer fly (or rubber worm or soft plastic).

In the salt, you see the same process with bluefish, which have teeth, when they seize the fly/lure at mid section. Bluefish lures do much better with a hook in the rear. Stripers, like freshwater bass, will usually seize the front.

I was fishing EP flies in the surf and saw this exact behavior. A Cuda smacked the single hooked fly on five successive casts (once twice in the same cast) but never got the hook because those things just try to cut their prey in half then clean up the mess. I had no bare hooks so I couldnt rig up a stinger.

I've also heard a "theory" that bass have evolved to take prey from the head because a lot of their prey items have spiny dorsal fins (like sunnies), and its just easier for them to swallow the fish head first, as they cant deploy those spikes.

crs2006 wrote:
I've also heard a "theory" that bass have evolved to take prey from the head because a lot of their prey items have spiny dorsal fins (like sunnies), and its just easier for them to swallow the fish head first, as they cant deploy those spikes.

Makes sense.
While freshwater toothies like a pike or big brown trout, rarely are able to actually sever their prey......this is common in the salt with blues, cudas, or sharks. Nevertheless, the freshwater fishes, with their sharp, backward pointing conical teeth can certainly seize a large fish and hold it till it dies at which point they will usually try to turn and swallow the prey headfirst, maybe to avoid the fins as you mention.
Whatever the case, I like a stinger hook for these situations......Except for blues, where I'd rather just have one sturdy, barbless hook in the rear of the fly. :)

I've seen natural feedin behavior from pike and musky. On the net.
They take there food broad side if the fish is longer than its mouth. They chew on em, work em over then flip around swallow em head first. Unless the fish is small day like 7 inches and they just inhale em......gone.

I've also head some really good streamer fisherman say trout also go for a stun or kill shot and loop around the take em after the initial impact.

The responses to this post show some nice flies. I particularly like that sculpin.
One of my most effective flies a few falls ago, on Penns Creek was the yellow woolly bugger. Ugly yellow with a cone head. I caught some nice fish, even in front of the cottages below Coburn

if you use a white sock you could get your rit dye out and give it a brown back with a black lateral line...you could even get grandma to sew a dorsal fin on it.

nice ties and stories guys.

i also like to chuck some dace patterns around on different streams different times a year. in fact that is how i got the skunk out this past weekend on the Lehigh...it was my first time there and had fun, didn't see another person. love the fall.

Thought I'd start the thread going again. Here's a streamer I tied up last night. I really like the color combo, as I feel it has the ability to represent numerous baitfish in a given stream... Gonna take her for a swim this weekend and see how things play out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 6
Nice tie! Looks like a version of Galloups sex dungeon or whatever he calls it lol.

I did a little retail therapy last night and ordered a mess of streamer materials. Can't wait to put them to use! This streamer thing is REALLY addicting...I haven't tied/fished a nymph in weeks. Not to mention I've bought more materials in the last month than I have in the last two years.

The tug is the drug!

I agree on it being addicting

I'm a total streamer junkie. Its rare I am tying on dries or nymphs anymore. I've got a pile of 8 inch long streamers waiting to be tested on trout (they kill on bass). My 8 wt is my best friend on the trout waters now, and I've had to leave chest packs in favor of backpacks because of the size of the boxes and the extra reels with different lines I carry.

great ties dudes. I agree on the addiction of tying streamers. I love smallie fishing(great fish to test on, they are generally rather mean), and coming up with new/interesting patterns. I agree with whoever said there is nothing wring with smaller streamers for fall/lower water trout. I like to tie a small pop-cycle type marabou streamer for smaller water trout. If I get a chance, I will post one up.

So this is what I've been tying and fishing lately. Kinda messing around with a bunch of different tying products/materials to see what fishes the best. So far, the tan barred sculpin helmet fly produces the most fish, but is the least fun to fish due to size. Also, I was fishing it with 4x and if I didn't retie it every 15 minutes, it would break from friction with the hook eye. Not digging the fish masks a whole lot yet, but I should just tie more lead with them to fix that. Last, the galloup's sex dungeon works best in tan/brown as well. I like these a lot because they are cheap and fun to tie. I've only fished it once, and was very pleased, so this could be my favorite. I can't wait for some cloudy water so I can fish some white and yellow flies.

20130923_140748.jpeg

20131011_135734.jpeg

20131025_151846.jpeg

bump it up to 2x Fluoro for those heavier flies and tie a non slip loop or Tarpon loop. Should help

I dig the masks, I've been throwing them with an intermediate or heavy sink tip line instead of weighting the fly or using split shot. They track nicely, however if you smack a cast off a rock or something, dont expect the fly to come back with the mask still on it.

Yea thats not a bad idea.

Here's another

Snapchat-20131030011154.jpg

Thats a wicked looking pattern. I really like those sculpins too. Simple and effective pattern. I havn't tied with the fish skulls or sculpin helmets yet, but I am picking up some for my winter tying sessions to replenish the stock lost this season, and definitely look forward to fishing them.

I've drawn up some sweet articulated junk using the skulls. Big ol' 7 inch trout steaks. I'm sticking a ten pounder next year come hell or high water lol

Haha hell yea!! And thanks man. If those sculpin heads weren't so expensive (for a college kid) I would tie more with them. I guess when I use 2x I wont lose them as much so it wont be too bad. They produce fish thats for sure

Gettin a little late for these but...

20131112_112029.jpeg

Back