Fall flies

renegade

renegade

Just trying to get a headstart on some tying for the upcoming fall fishing. I've never really done a whole lot of fall fishing in the past and I was just wondering if there are any flies that are a must to tie. Usually I fish freestone streams with an occasional trip to penns and pine, and since I'm still new to posting I figured I would see what some of your opinions are. Any advice on some good ties would be appreciated. thanks!

For fall trout fishing on the waters you describe, I'd work to get 3 or 4 ea of the following patterns, particularly for the period from early Sept to late Oct:

1. Blue Winged Olives
2. Foam Beetles and ants
3. Streamer fly of whatever style you like
(I like big with marabou)
4. Stonefly nymphs
5. Generic midge larvae and adults
6. Generic nymphs of the Pheasant Tail variety (smaller sizes: #16-20)

Adding a bit to Fishidiots list:
Many streams have decent slate drake hatches.
And I've also come across some sporadic caddis hatches in the fall

If you don't want to get specific, Adams of various sizes will cover the bugs that these guys mentioned.

No terrestrials?

For all the hype they get during the summer months, I've had my best luck using them in Sept. and Oct.

Kev

The Blue Wing Olives in the fall are smaller than in the spring. Go with like an 18-20 ish size.

PennKev wrote:
No terrestrials?

For all the hype they get during the summer months, I've had my best luck using them in Sept. and Oct.

Kev

Fishidiot did list ants and beetles.

Yeah, I catch lots of fish on terrestials in the fall also

Can't beat ant's and beetles in the summer and Fall!

PaulG

I need to get my rear in gear and tie up some ants and beetles. I will probably take my tying kit with me again on vacation...doesn't mean I'll tie any, but good to have if I do decide to. I lost my ants last year in the trees at a hole on the LL.

Well thanks for all the helpful suggestions! hopefully I'll get enough time to tie up a nice little supply for the fall. Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to post some pics of their productivity!

Back