Fad rods Tenkara Switch and Glass .

Everyone bought switch rods without realizing they had been tricked into buying short spey rods.

Not me, so not everyone. A "short spey" rod has its purpose over a 14 spey rod for sure. The only place I use it is on the Salmon River, but after 12 years of nyphing the water I found that I got bored with that technique and the switch rod was the perfect size rod to swing flies on that size river. The fish are very presuured and it helps to reach less pressured fish in hard to reach spots especially in higher flows. No need to bomb hero cast most times, but when you need to it is there for you. Spey rods are fine, but they are just a bit too long for that river. Larger rivers they are perfect.

Fads:
tenkara
euro and czech nymphing rods

I would add fast graphite to the list of fads. Fortunately, that craze seems to be fading somewhat.

redietz wrote:
I would add fast graphite to the list of fads. Fortunately, that craze seems to be fading somewhat.

Word! And I'd say that fad was one of the reasons glass boomed. Over reaction to the broomstick? Perhaps...

The_Sasquatch wrote:
redietz wrote:

Word! And I'd say that fad was one of the reasons glass boomed. Over reaction to the broomstick? Perhaps...

Was unaware that fast rods are dwindling, not sure why I can do everything with a fast action rod and some over a slower action rod were I feel limited.

Fredrick wrote:
not sure why I can do everything with a fast action rod and some over a slower action rod were I feel limited.

I fished glass exclusively from the early sixties to the early eighties. I then got caught up in the "faster is better, Montana macho" mindset of the time, fishing increasingly faster graphite into the nineties. At the same, I was noticing that my shoulder hurt worse and worse after each fishing trip, to the point where I couldn't even pick up a rod for days afterwards. I switched back to glass and cane and the problem went away.

I'm not sure why you think carbon is less limited than glass. I can cast almost an entire line with a Browning Silaflex that I bought for $19 in the early 70's. (In fact, back then I could cast an entire line, but I was using a WF line, vs a DT now. And I'm a mediocre caster.) There really isn't way I feel limited with that rod (or any glass rod I own) in comparison with a graphite rod of similar length/line weight.

Graphite has its place. For me that place would be rods longer than 9 feet, and heavier than a 6 weight. Fortunately, rod manufacturers are now producing more full action graphite, so that's not quite the problem that it was 20 years ago.

Both glass and cane are easier on my shoulder than graphite, and are both less fragile than graphite. I can't see ever going back to carbon in the lengths/weights that I fish the most.

redietz wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
not sure why I can do everything with a fast action rod and some over a slower action rod were I feel limited.

I fished glass exclusively from the early sixties to the early eighties. I then got caught up in the "faster is better, Montana macho" mindset of the time, fishing increasingly faster graphite into the nineties. At the same, I was noticing that my shoulder hurt worse and worse after each fishing trip, to the point where I couldn't even pick up a rod for days afterwards. I switched back to glass and cane and the problem went away.

I'm not sure why you think carbon is less limited than glass. I can cast almost an entire line with a Browning Silaflex that I bought for $19 in the early 70's. (In fact, back then I could cast an entire line, but I was using a WF line, vs a DT now. And I'm a mediocre caster.) There really isn't way I feel limited with that rod (or any glass rod I own) in comparison with a graphite rod of similar length/line weight.

Graphite has its place. For me that place would be rods longer than 9 feet, and heavier than a 6 weight. Fortunately, rod manufacturers are now producing more full action graphite, so that's not quite the problem that it was 20 years ago.

Both glass and cane are easier on my shoulder than graphite, and are both less fragile than graphite. I can't see ever going back to carbon in the lengths/weights that I fish the most.

There maybe some glass rods with some power in them but I haven't casted any of them yet. With my comment I was speaking in reference to slower rods in general . I am also not a fan of rods that are to fast but I love me some NRX and cross current rods for the salt. I like reserve power in my rods in case there is some wind or I need to shoot a fast line because my fly has some weight or is wind resistant .

Salt's another story. I should have added that my comments were solely with respect to trout fishing.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
redietz wrote:

That's what pushed me to glass for trout fishing for sure!!

I started with graphite. A few years later, I went with bamboo and fished it exclusively for trout for almost my entire fly-fishing life until about 15 years ago when I discovered Winston made some graphite I really liked. Nothing I've handled in graphite recently rivals those Winston rods which now are discontinued.

When I wanted something 7 foot or shorter in a lighter line weight, I realized nothing in graphite "moved" me but fiberglass had the feel I like in any rod length.

For me it's all about what I like in rod action and for me that has never changed since day one. Whether it is graphite, bamboo or glass, all of my trout rods are what folks refer to as "moderate" action. Today in new tackle, only glass or bamboo has that feel.

It's also about what fills the need which brings me to fishing in the dead of winter for trout in small streams, or for those small streams that I encounter other times that I want to explore for a half hour or so, maybe from the bank.

I have plenty of rods to choose from that would fit the bill size-wise, but I wanted something that I could leave in the car year round and not worry about. I also wanted something I could set-up quickly without leaving it rigged…

…yup, Tenkara fits that need PERFECTLY.

The Tenkara rods live in my trunk year round along with a tiny amount of gear & flies. I am ready to fish in seconds; they work fantastically with the small beadheads or dries I like to use, the long reach helps if I am fishing from the bank, I am packed-up in seconds, I have no fly line or reel maintenance to be concerned with AND, no iced up guides to deal with in winter.

Bottom line, if the gear that fills the need you have happens to be the latest fad, but the “fad” factor is responsible for exposing you to something that solves a problem or makes fishing more enjoyable…

…oh well.

No apologies here.

My first fly rod was an old bamboo rod. Later I researched it and discovered it was probably made in 1934.

Added a second one (new old stock) and a fiberglass several years later. After breaking the first bamboo rod, I did a halfassed repair and gave it to an older couple as a wall hanger. They were like a second set of parents to me.

Gave the other bamboo rod to a friend in Connecticut as payment for some work he did for me. He was very pleased with the trade, but only because I didn't tell him how little I paid for it.;-)

Eventually got the first bamboo rod back as the couple was getting older and failing health.

Bought a short and cheap graphite rod combo from Wally World when I moved to NC. All my other fishing gear was in storage and my temporary housing was on a small lake.

After moving back north, I "acquired" a couple of middle of the road graphite rods, and fished that almost exclusively for awhile. Gave the short rod away.

Then I completely rebuilt that old bamboo rod in part to honor the original owner as well as the older couple after the wife died. After I was done, it looked like a fine piece of jewelery. It looked and felt awesome. First time out, I caught several trout. Awesome feeling.

I eventually broke it while fishing for bluegills at my brothers farm on my way to fish Penns. Fortunately I brought backup. I also started acquiring old bamboo production rods which I rebuilt for use.

Most of my bamboo rods are now in need of repair, but I don't have time to repair them. Therefore I am back to using [d]plastic [/d]graphite.

It was an adjustment to go back to graphite because they felt too light.

I do like glass rods, but currently don't have any. However, my go to right now is a moderate action graphite.

I don't need latest and greatest. I could put eyes on a 2X4 and catch fish. In fact, my one bamboo rod (9' 8 wt bass taper) has been compared to that.

Tenkara would probably be perfect for fishing my pond in the woods, but I'm not spending that kind of money on a crappie pole.;-)

tjsingle wrote:
I started fishing glass more so than newer faster action rods. Personally I like glass better now

Same!

Tenkara > never owned or fished one, but thought about it. I'm not flyrodaphobic, so I have no problem with anyone fishing one, or any other type rod or tackle for that matter. If someone finds it fun and practical, and it works for them, they should go for it.

Switch > I own two of them. I find my 8wt useful fishing the surf at times when the wind is out of the south (right to left) at the shore. I can easily cast 2H with a switch on the left side in a south wind. I prefer to SH cast more traditional rods in most other situations.

Glass > Grew up and started to fish in the glass age. Learned on glass rods and used them exclusively at the time. When decent graphite rods were introduced, I bought one and never looked back. Haven't purchased a glass rod since.

To repeat what I wrote above, I'm not flyrodaphobic, so I have no problem with anyone fishing one or any other type rod or tackle for that matter. I've cast quite a few glass rods as well as boo rods, and admire them for what they are, be have no desire to buy either one or fish it.

There are boo rods out there that cast well and are works of art, but I prefer to fish lighter medium action rods for trout and faster rods for heavy freshwater or saltwater.

I'm more practical with my rod choices and view them less with romance and more as a tool. The more versatile the tool is in my hands and the more efficient and proficient I become with it, the better I like it.

I don't think glass is/was a fad. I feel like graphite was more of a fad and it took off with the whole lighter faster higher modulous craze.

I just think it started becoming less available as manufacturers went with the new technology.

I feel like fiberglass is the ideal material for fly rods. It keeps you in check. Between the weight and the slowness, it smooths out your casting stroke, allowing you to make more uniform, softer and more accurate casts with minimal effort. You stay with your bounds and scare less fish. You can fish lighter line without worrying about being snapped off. And they allow you to roll cast at all distances better. The deep bend in the rod turns an otherwise violent thrashing of a large bass into more muted dampened tugs. I just prefer glass now over graphite because of the feel of it. It's more familiar and comfortable now. I've got over a half dozen of them now, started with a CGR and had to have more.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I don't think glass is/was a fad. I feel like graphite was more of a fad and it took off with the whole lighter faster higher modulous craze.

I just think it started becoming less available as manufacturers went with the new technology.

I have no ill will towards glass and own several. However, if we can call graphite a fad, then I guess the same applies to cell phones and jet aircraft.

Then I guess personal electromagnetic propulsion and being able to communicate through telepathy will be a fad in the future.

Still doesn't mean I like it.

PennKev wrote:
[ However, if we can call graphite a fad, then I guess the same applies to cell phones and jet aircraft.

The difference is that cell phones and jet aircraft are significant leaps in technology, vastly improving telephony and aviation, and opening up many more uses for each

Graphite is at best an incremental development from glass; they're both just wrapping cloth around a mandrel and impregnating it with resin. The improvement in the resins over the years is probably far more significant than what kind of cloth is used. Graphite hasn't opened up any new use for fly rods. It's a bit different, but not obviously superior, and the fad in question here is the super-fast actions of rods of rods in the 90's and early 2000's where super-fast actions weren't warranted. Just because you can make something, doesn't mean you should.

I own a boatload of rods. Among them are 5 bamboo rods and 9 glass rods. The rest are graphite. The glass rods range from very slow (Cabela's 7'-1" 4 weight Prime) to fast glass. The fast glass are some of my vintage Fenwick's. Cast them and you will be surprised. And I could not imagine a better small stream rod than my FF705. A small stream roll casting dream.

I pick and choose my rod for the day's fishing depending on conditions and what I feel like fishing on that particular day. Sometimes it is graphite, sometimes glass. Feeling a glass rod load and unload is special to me. And then there is the feel of a 12" fish feeling like a 15" fish.

redietz wrote:
Graphite hasn't opened up any new use for fly rods.

Actually it has.

It's a vast improvement for heavy line weight rods. A 7" 4wt glass rod is all fine and good but do you want throw a 9' 10wt glass for any appreciable amount of time?

Same thing with high stick nymphing. A 11' 4wt glass rod? Nuh-uh. Don't think so.

Heck, look at which vintage glass rods are most desirable. Almost all are sub 9' rods. Graphite's advantage in creating lighter, longer, faster, and more responsive rods cannot be understated. There are, in fact, many applications where this is desirable.

I guess none of that matters if your fishing is limited to small trout streams, but there's a big wide world of fly fishing out there and a lot of it is more accessible due to the advantages of graphite.

I contacted them and was totally surprised how light these rods are. On my wish list:

http://www.livingstonrod.com/fly-rods/western-glass

PennKev wrote:
do you want throw a 9' 10wt glass for any appreciable amount of time?

Same thing with high stick nymphing. A 11' 4wt glass rod?

People were already fishing 9' 10wt glass rods before graphite, and some still do. According Lefty's autobiography a few years back, people who fly fish for tuna prefer glass in a 14 weight or higher, because it doesn't shatter like graphite. (I assume that preference is not universal). Nothing there that can't be/wasn't done with glass. No new niche there..

And every 11' weight that I've cast (and I own a couple) aren't fast graphite, they're slow to mid-flex. I'd love to see a modern glass rod in that length. As I said before, resins have improved over the years, and modern glass is very light.

I'm not saying that graphite isn't useful, but it wasn't a game changer, and the trend for ultra-fast rods for all purposes was a fad whose time has come and thankfully gone.

Everybody has their own taste style and preference. Maybe everything is a fad, maybe not.

I would like to say that both graphite and fiberglass have their advantages. Graphite is lighter and typically faster and fiberglass is known to be slower and tougher.

The fact that I own a 1967 Fenwick that fishes well is a testament to the longevity of glass. I have zero of the graphite rods left that I have purchased more than ten years ago. I have had graphite rods break time and time again. Fiberglass rods can break too, but I haven't seen it yet. So, I'll take the extra couple ounces and piece of mind.

Rather than being a fad, perhaps fiberglass has come full circle.

I would describe at least two of my fiberglass rods as amazing casting rods, especially roll casting. People like roll casting. Everybody's talking about it. I was like WoW. This is huge. Huuuuge. Made in China, but.... huge, I'm still gonna send it. Where' s my phone, gotta send a tweet. Huge. Gjiiina.

Back