Extended Body Comparaduns

W

Wmass

I am trying to figure out how to tie these flies and cant seem to get the body tight. I start the body on a straight needs to tie the extension and then slide it off and tie it onto the hook, but the extension seems flimsy. Anyone have any tips for tying this fly or a material to substitute into the extension to make it stronger.

I know this should be in the tying section but I thought it would get more traffic here.

coat the extension with Flex-i-ment or softex or some kind of glue and all ow it to dry before removing it from the needle. Don;t forget to add your tail to the body on the needle.

Thanks Tom I will give that a try. I am also going to switch to a small needle body cause the one I have been using is wide.

What is the comparitive advantage to extending body comparacuns, over using a long shanked hook?

Padraic I always thought that comparaduns offered a little advantage over long-shank hooks because they have a more life-like curve to the tail region. I am not sure this matters much to the fish because I haven't tried the long shank approach though.

I am trying to tie small comparaduns on size #18 hooks. I want the small hook for warry fish and yet still match the normal size of the mayflies I am trying to match. Still not sure if it makes a huge difference to the fish but those comparaduns are sure fun to tie.

Back