Exposed stud length LL Bean West Branch

KeithS

KeithS

Can someone with a pair of the West branch boots with Aqua Stealth and studs tell me how much of the stud is exposed after installation?
I picked up a pair yesterday without studs. I can't see paying $40.00 for the studs. I may try the Kold Kutters, if the head isn't too long. It seems there needs to be a maximum amount of exposed stud. Otherwise, there won't be any contact between rocks the rubber.

Hi Keith - The West Branch boots aren't available with studs.

The Kold Kutter screws would stick out a lot further from the sole than the Bean kit screws do.

I've never used the KK studs, but several of my fishing buddies use them and like them.

I really like the Bean studs - the ones that come with the studded soles on the Gray Ghost and Rivertread boots are the same studs that are used on studded snow tires. They'll last a lot longer than KK screws but aren't removable.

I haven't used the kit screws from da Bean, but they have the same carbide tips.

You could always try the KK studs, and if they don't work out for you, just remove them and get the Bean screws....

Thanks, Ed. I was hoping you'd chime in.
I assume if the stud protrudes too far, the rubber "wouldn't meet the road" at all.

I'll add my vote for the KK screws. I put a drop of aqua seal on each screw when I put them in. Been using them for a couple of years with no problems. I think 250 screws were about $30 or something. I do change the screws about every other year......

"I'll add my vote for the KK screws. I put a drop of aqua seal on each screw when I put them in. Been using them for a couple of years with no problems. I think 250 screws were about $30 or something. I do change the screws about every other year......"

Biggie,
Do you have them in rubber soled LL Bean West Branch boots?

KeithS: I have two pair of the older Bean models with the stealth soles. They have a circle pattern for the tread and I put the screws in the center of the circles. I use about 12 screws per boot. I use the 5/8" length and have never had any screws come up through the sole...........Keith

Thanks, Biggie
My boots don't have a particular spot on the sole to place the studs.There aren't any different, circled places in the sole pattern. i guess anywhere is OK.

Back