Expectations with weather swings

C_kreek17

C_kreek17

How do you think the fishing will be affected in the next few days (over the short term), as we briefly leave this incredibly warm spell behind for milder temperatures and rain this weekend? I know stream type, size, etc could all affect the fishing but in your experience will fish be completely lock jawed, or will it actually improve the fishing? I know browns tend to shutdown a little bit with big temp swings, but will the brookies care? How do your tactics change when the weather turns?

Like many members, I don’t get to fish as much as I used to, and it’s typically on the weekends. A buddy and I are headed to NC PA this weekend for some mountain fishing - a trip we have been looking forward to for some time - we were excited about the warm weather and hopefully great fishing. The weather obviously had other plans, and we’re still optimistic, but it really just got me thinking.

I think the cloudy, rainy weather on the other side of the swing will keep them active.

It is my experience that when a front rolls through and you get a day of clear sunny weather that they shut off for a day or so.

Like everything else, this isn't gospel, trout are weird.

Cloudy days with a modest rain is a great time to fish. It looks like this is the forecast starting tomorrow looks wet for a while. One of my best afternoons was a rainy afternoon on Spring Creek at about 2:00 PM. A big hatch of sulphurs for a couple of hours kept me very busy.

Heavy rain and wind are the real issue. Bring a rain coat. You never know how it will go.

Glad to hear people saying this. Headed up to NEPA for some fishing myself. Honestly, all I really need is some time fishing. If the fish cooperate, so much the better.

I think you will be fine. I did angler surveys as an intern for Rutgers/NJ Fish and Wildlife and generally found a cold front would kill the fishing early in the season in April. However, in prime time in May a cold front could slow fishing a bit but other factors such as sun, wind, water level etc were just as important. This is the time of year for trout to feed and grow and it is hard to put them off entirely. However, if they are already on the cold side a cold front can put them off the feed.

Fished from 6am to 4pm Saturday, had an amazing day netting 70 fish. Mixed bag from stocked rainbows and browns to a number of wilds, with a smallmouth and brookie making an appearance. Personally I felt the weather was perfect, and it kept the fair weather people away. Rain wasn't hard enough to make any problems outside of just being wet. Plus I prefer it being a little cooler, which made this weekend great.

I think aquatic insects emerge based partly on cumulative temperature variations. So when a warm spell hits like last week, the bugs that were close to emergence get pushed ahead and emerge more quickly/heavily than they would with lower temperatures. So when it cools down, the emergence action goes on pause because most of the insects close to emergence already did so.

Reactions: AVL
Back