Euro Nymphing

As mentioned George Daniels' book pretty much covers it all.

Here's a video that might help you out too.
http://www.amazon.com/European-Nymphing-Strategic-Approach-Jasper/dp/B0077EOPBW/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460494911&sr=1-3&refinements=p_27%3AAaron+Jasper

I agree with PennKev that the various styles of nymphing and the various nymphing systems compliment each other. I've experimented a lot over the years and certain conditions - both weather and water conditions - favor one over the other at times.

My previous post was not meant to be interpreted that I am in any way bothered that Euro nymphing is called just that. I just wanted to point out that we Yanks did the same thing at about the same time.

The newest orvis podcast with tom rosenbauer covers tightlining

I don't know if what I do is exactly euro nymphing but I find indicators best when I'm standing in the middle of a stream casting almost straight up stream and dead drifting back. If I'm in tight quarters which is mostly the case I never use an indicator and keep as much of my line off the water as possible. If it is possible to keep all the flyline off the water I let about 6 inch on the water and that gives you a good indication if a fish bites or not. I'm actually having trouble nymphing right now because I spent so much of the end of last year swinging streamers and wet flies. Can you believe my first 3 1/2 years of fly fishing I never fished a classic wet fly? those things are deadly.

Twofly wrote:
A great book to get is Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniels. He covers all the euro techniques, leader formulas and flies.
Longer rods 10-11' 3-5wt are best
In faster water i use a 10' czech leader; 20"red amnesia butt section 24"of jan siman bi colored mono to 2mm tippet ring then 6' of 5x or 6x tippet.
I use 2 flies a heavier fly at the point and a smaller fly 20"up on a 8"dropper
In slower runs a 7.5 3x tapered leader with a 2mm tippet ring as a base
from there i can build off my tippet section for
Dry, dry dropper, or tandem nymph with in line sighter
I carry about a dozen bead head nymphs in different size and weights
variations of prince,pheasant tail, hairs ear,zebra midges etc...
try it you wont regret it

I have George Daniels book and I have tried some of the techniques, but I keep coming back to more simple approaches. I just do not understand how you can keep in touch and detect takes with almost 20 feet of leader in the water. Now maybe 8 feet of the leader is still on the rod, I don't know.

I don't like changing leaders and I want to quickly move between nymphs and dry flies at times. Using a 9' 4X tapered leader with some additional 4X tied off works good for nymphing for me. I keep it simple with the second fly tied off the first hook. When I want to go to dry flies I just cut off the nymphs, tie some 5X off the end and away I go.

I nymphed for most early years with no indicator and I am good at it. However, it works best when you can be in contact with your flies such as with high sticking. This works fine in water conditions where you can get reasonably close and keep all fly line off the water.

In slower water and for distances requiring fly line on the water, a strike indicator is invaluable.

The less time spent tying knots and tweaking fancy leader systems, the more time spent catching fish.

OldLefty wrote:
I agree with PennKev that the various styles of nymphing and the various nymphing systems compliment each other. I've experimented a lot over the years and certain conditions - both weather and water conditions - favor one over the other at times.

My previous post was not meant to be interpreted that I am in any way bothered that Euro nymphing is called just that. I just wanted to point out that we Yanks did the same thing at about the same time.

Dave,

If I remember correctly, did you not write an article for Fly Fisherman detailing your micro nymphing methods?

Tiogadog, I did. I didn't think anyone remembered that.

In that article we introduced my leader formula (pre-sighter reference, I might add). We ended up calling it a vari-colored leader. George also references some of this in his book.

In reality, while the article was titled "Tiny Nymph Tactics" the system and tactics are applicable to fishing any nymphs.

Luke wrote:

I have George Daniels book and I have tried some of the techniques, but I keep coming back to more simple approaches. I just do not understand how you can keep in touch and detect takes with almost 20 feet of leader in the water. Now maybe 8 feet of the leader is still on the rod, I don't know.

That's it. The idea of having the very long leader is not have a lot of leader out in the water. It's to have enough leader that you are just fishing leader, and have lots of leader still on the rod.

No doubt effective. But it doesn't interest me.

I like fishing with a "standard" leader that can easily be switched between nymph and dry fly use.

And I fish nymphs without indicators. And in the short, tight line high stick method where that fits the type of water.

But also fishing at medium and even long lengths, where you are not fishing a tight line in direct contact with the nymph.

It's fun to fish nymphs with 40 feet of line and leader out there, without an indicator.

From a lot of stuff you read, you get the idea that you are not "supposed" to do this. But, you can catch plenty of fish this way and it's a lot of fun.

For example on a big stream like the Little Juniata or Delaware or Lehigh or Yough, there are some big runs that you can wade along the edges of, but it's not really safe to wade all through there, especially when the water is up.

And if you waded all through there fishing a short line, you'd be spooking a lot of fish. So you fish it with "long line nymphing" for lack of a better name.

Most people do this type of fishing with a floating indicator. But you can also do it without an indicator.

When I started flyfishing around 1970 there were no indicators, so if you wanted to nymph fish further out than you can wade, you had to learn how to do "long line nymph fishing without an indicator."

There must be a better name than that. Back in the day we just called it nymph fishing.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:

Bigger waters are definitely the biggest drawback, there's almost no getting around a indicator if you need to cast for any distance.

Keep thinking that.

People fished nymphs for years before bobbers came on the scene.

BrookieChaser wrote:

Bigger waters are definitely the biggest drawback, there's almost no getting around a indicator if you need to cast for any distance.

Keep thinking that.

People fished nymphs for years before bobbers came on the scene.

Say it isn't so!

No kidding man, thanks for enlightening me with the obvious.

Distance nymphing IMO would be more productive with an indicator then without is my point.

Although I don't use indicators anyway, I personally don't like them and Im not good with them.

I just find that distance nymphing without an indicator is pretty challenging

^^ For a self admitted new fly fisher, you certainly know a lot.

It is challenging. And a LOT of fun. Keep trying it.

troutbert wrote:

It is challenging. And a LOT of fun. Keep trying it.

I am, the whole experience has been nothing but a ton of fun, so much to try and learn

BrookieChaser wrote:

The common sense that people fished nymphs without indicators wouldn't be considered "knowing a lot", or would it?

And on top of that, I am new, but I fish a lot, I have probably fished more in the past two months then many fish all year. I don't really mean anything by that, but yes Ive learned a great deal so far. What I know is next to nothing compared to what you may know, but common sense is still common sense

3wt7X wrote:
I find it funny, how much these re-inventors of the wheel make off of renaming a technique, and writing books about something that the PA fly fishing legends have been doing for 40 years.

...this

As I've read an article, book, or see something on the web I've many times thought "so that's what i was doing x years ago"...."who knew?"

John

It is challenging. And a lot of fun. Keeping trying it.

This kind of nymph fishing is often over-looked these days, and not discussed much in the current nymphing instructional stuff.

troutbert wrote:

It is challenging. And a lot of fun. Keeping trying it.

This kind of nymph fishing is often over-looked these days, and not discussed much in the current nymphing instructional stuff.

Agree, I haven't heard anything about long line nymphing without indicators.

The way I've been doing it is using a shorter leader/tippet and then just watching the tip of my fly line as an indicator. Havent been too successful with it

BrookieChaser wrote:

The common sense that people fished nymphs without indicators wouldn't be considered "knowing a lot", or would it?

And on top of that, I am new, but I fish a lot, I have probably fished more in the past two months then many fish all year. I don't really mean anything by that, but yes Ive learned a great deal so far. What I know is next to nothing compared to what you may know, but common sense is still common sense

Sounds like you are really shortening the learning curve. Have you considered starting a blog?

moon1284 wrote:
BrookieChaser wrote:

Sounds like you are really shortening the learning curve. Have you considered starting a blog?

Way ahead of ya, not only got the blog up and running but also flyfish dedicated facebook and instagram! DUH! :p

BrookieChaser wrote:

Just as I expected. You've proven my point.

Just a hint for you, my observation above was not only related to this thread.

Back