Echo Fly Rods...

StudentofTheStream

StudentofTheStream

I'm in the market for a new rod and have decided to shy away from the big name extremely over priced manufacturers of the norm.

I recently bought a Redington RS3 7wt from Cabelas site (on sale) and broke it the first time I used it. They replaced it with their new RS4 line but I don't particularly care for the rod at all.

My question is does anyone have any experience with Echo fly rods?

I did some test casting at my local fly shop earlier this week and tried quite a few different rods from TFO, Wright&McGill and one from Echo. The Echo rod surprising felt very good and cast very well in the range (up to 50 ft) that I was throwing it.

Anyone have any experience with these rods?

I've also been reading up and them and they have a new Echo2 rod out with comes with 2 tips. 1 is an accuracy tip and 1 is for distance, marked accordingly. For me that versatility in a 7 wt means being able to go from river smallies and steelhead to light salt. Retail is $269 so a pretty good price too.

Any thoughts?

I bought a 9ft 5wt Echo Classic on a trip to the Big Hole River a couple years ago. My guide would not shut up about how great Echo rods were, and considering the Classic was reasonably priced at $139 I decided to take his advice and pick one up. I couldn't be more pleased with this rod, and I use it 75% of the time compared to 25% with my 5wt FLi. Both are great rods, but because the Echo's action is a bit slower (med-fast compared to fast) its more accurate on close range casts. Its also easier to roll and mend with. I havent tried the Echo2 but if its anything like the Classic its definitely worth consideration when youre lookin for a new rod. Also, Echo rods are designed by Tim Rajeff, whos one of the best competitive casters in the world. And you cannot beat their prices.

Check out this 3wt Classic strength test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc9pgoTHGwI

I have seen the rods flexed like that in pics in a few different magazines but that is incredible. The classic 7 wt I casted the other day felt pretty nice so I'm excited to try the Echo 2 out and see what kinda of versatility the different tips give.

I've seen the rods before but never casted one but glad I finally did. Seems to be a great rod for a great price. We'll see which I end up with.

I have never casted a Echo rod, but I have 2 Echo reels and like them although most tend to shy away from them (I think it's because they aren't priced high enough) It's a nice reel for $70. Plus I got one a Gander Mt. as a display model and last in stock for $40 (which happens to be the price of a spare spool, which is what I was going to buy).

Yeah, I'm sure they make great reels too, even though and as you said, they arent popular for the same reason their rods arent (yet) -- because they are priced low and people are subsequently inclined to think that they can't be very good. But Echo makes quality products, they just don't mark up the prices like other companies. I can see Echo exploding over next few years because of this.

I should also note that last year I sent my Classic in for a replacement tip after losing my original tip while trying to retrieve a fly out of a tree (dont ask), and they sent me a brand new rod and case when all they had to do was fit me for new tip. And I got the new rod within a week and half of sending my old one!

Back